Cold weather Gear..

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
George387
Crucian Carp

Re: Cold weather Gear..

Post by George387 »

Being a river angler (trotting) and standing mostly up to my nether regions in freezing water, you cannot beat a pair of 5mm neoprene chest waders and underneath another pair of 3mm neoprene socks then a pair of thin cotton socks, I normally stand in the river for anything up to 5 hours and I have say I'm really warm no matter what the temperature is, combined with an old CS85 thick fleece and goretex over the top and my old Russian floppy hat and that's it ready for anything the Grayling season throws at me.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Can't remember whether it was Walbran or Pritt but one of them, being a tough northerner like myself, advises a sequence of 50 or so squats as a good remedy for the shivers when winter fishing! :shocked:

Personally I think I'd only resort to this sort of measure if I had a guaranteed audience of dog-owners or fellow fisherman to impress. It should certainly add nicely to the 'its really good they let those sort out by themselves these days' vibe this traditional angling is giving me.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Pair of thermals under Craghoppers lined winter kiwi trousers and waterproof trousers over the top, Preston Dri Boots with thick wool socks, and a Wychwood lined Trout
fishermans coat that 12 has pockets, plenty to store bits and pieces, and small Billingham Bag for provisions with Kelly Kettle attached. Very mobile if needs be.

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

has anyone tried these, I was thinking of ordering one to try?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warmawear-Hea ... 35b8c65710

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Personally I would rather wear several layers to keep warm. They may be ok but I just see it as a money making gimmick that wont catch on, may as well get these too :chuckle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Battery-P ... 3f1d3dce8c
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

As the weather is getting colder I shall be wearing a single-breasted 3 button sports coat with regular notched lapels. It features flap pockets, a regular breast pocket with a red pocket square and cuffs on the sleeve. The latter feature underlines the informal character of the outfit. The back of this wide-whale corduroy jacket in light green has a centre vent. The jacket is combined with khaki-coloured cotton trousers which have cuffs, of course. The standout piece in this ensemble is definitely the yellow doeskin waistcoat.The outfit is completed by a brown tweed cap, a pipe, brown turf boots and last but not least, a tall ash country cane or stick. :wink:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

very fetching jerry c, you can't be a true sothern softie, if thats all you need to wear, more like
'a closet hard as nails northerner' :chuckle:

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

DaveM wrote:very fetching jerry c, you can't be a true sothern softie, if thats all you need to wear, more like
'a closet hard as nails northerner' :chuckle:
Nar then pal :chuckle:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Heat Holder socks for me coupled with a good pair of long johns and top. I have some very good silk long johns and long sleeved tops that I purchased something like 25 years ago now. They came from C&A, remember them?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare »

A vote for Muck Boots neoprene wellies. Easy to walk in, too. You don't need heavy socks unless it's really arctic, eitrer.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”