Cold weather Gear..

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Haydn Clarke

Re: Cold weather Gear..

Post by Haydn Clarke »

DaveM wrote:has anyone tried these, I was thinking of ordering one to try?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warmawear-Hea ... 35b8c65710

Save your money, Dave. Anything battery operated will last all of two minutes before the battery's drained. My mum, bless her - "Haydn, don't go out without a coat on! You'll catch a death of cold!" - decided that one Christmas she'd buy me an electric sleeping bag for when I go fishing. Sodding thing weighed an absolute ton - imagine a motor bike battery, or two of those batteries we used to nick out of illuminated road cones - and heated me up less than if I'd of farted in the sleeping bag. Used it once. Far better in my opinion to get some Morino wool thermals and a couple of Zippo or peacock heaters in the pockets.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Aigle neoprene lined boots; Musto Highlander Jacket ; Simms Extreme Weather Hat . Ready for anything. Barbour waxed cotton...good for starting bonfires with and ..err.. tha's it ! Oh - one can impersonate Prince Charles by wearing a Barbour; not convinced this has wide appeal though...

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

By far the best field boots I've found are the Prologic Polar Zone. I go for the 3 season ones and they do me for Autumn, Winter and Spring (and I'm talking seriously low temperatures here). They are so good that I now use them as my standard winter mountain boot (crampons don't fit though!). Bison neoprene wellies are better than Muckboots in my honest opinion and the Ebay seller is excellent.

For Winter clothing I use a combination of close fitting fleece layers under a decent breathable jacket and bib and brace. Two base layers - a short sleeved tshirt and a long sleved one with a looser mid layer over the top. Decathlon and Go Outdoors are probably the best source for these although Aldi and Lidle have ski gear at this time of year and their stuff is excellent. Standard fishing cold weather gear go over this. I've yet to find a fishing specific bib and brace or pair of overtrousers that last more than a couple of years. They always wear out on the lower leg due to the amount of walking I do.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

Blackadder wrote:I bought one of those Russian-style hats with the furry flaps last winter.
I look a proper 'nana in it, but it doesn't half keep my head, ears and neck warm
ive got one of those there great really warm

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Me too. North Face. Brilliant! Warm, Waterproof, windproof (which is essential for me in the cold as I get cronic ear ache), and yes, you do look a bit of a plonker in one.

A snood is very good as well.

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Can't go fishing in the weather without my neck tube keep the neck warm and also keeps draft out.
Bernard.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I use one of these under my jacket, bib and brace in really cold weather..... very warm and toasty... think I paid less than £30 for it
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

The old guys who worked on the roads used to swear by womens nylon tights underneath your trousers. Tried it once, not a nice experience

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Barbour waxed jacket (40 years old), Barbour fleece, Barbour shirt, Barbour socks . . .

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

SofaSurfer wrote:Barbour waxed jacket (40 years old), Barbour fleece, Barbour shirt, Barbour socks . . .
Flash git!!! :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”