Waxed Cotton Coat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Waxed Cotton Coat

Post by Chevin »

Hi gents

A bit of advice needed, I have just picked a Waxed Cotton Coat, it was advertised as returned mail order stock and was very cheap. When I opened the parcel it soon became apparent that it was more likely water damage stock as the coat stinks, smells very damp and musty. Has anyone attempted to wash waxed cotton, label says cold water sponge but I feel it may need a bit more than that.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Waxed Cotton Coat

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

dont wash it!!- you will remove some/all of the coating and although you can reproof, its never the same as original

hang it somewhere dry with ideally a through flow of air and leave it to dry out

every waxed jacket ends up looking like its had a hard life - you will just reach that point slightly quicker

Barbours seem like silly money- but having two over 40 years (with the second still going strong)suddenly expensive seems like good value

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Agree - don't wash it: give it a very thorough sponging with a damp but not sodden sponge or cloth and then hang somewhere with through flow of air (even better if you have dehumidifier then next to that). If it still smells a little musty after its fully dried out then Febreeze it repeatedly for a week or so. Bear in mind that it will smell much worse now because it has been contained in a wrapping for awhile.

Hope it works out!
Jim

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Febreeze it :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”