Traditional timepieces

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Traditional timepieces

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mmm - I could buy one of those and a couple of spares if I sold either of mine. Would certainly be more practical but somehow I can't see me doing it.

My pocket watch is a shame really as few people would appreciate it these days so I guess it will live many more years locked away. I wonder if it will survive another hand me down before someone breaks the chain (no pun intended) and sells it?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Splendid.... However, as much as I appreciate a good looking timepiece, these day's I try to steer myself away from time when angling. Time has a habit of spoiling things.
I am the same SK, I never wear a watch when I go fishing.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Unfortunately being on very limited time I have to. I have promised myself though that if ever I manage to retire I will stop wearing a watch and remove the clocks from my walls.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Shaun,

I had an Omega almost identical to yours up until a few years ago, when I rather foolishly gave it to a chap who fitted a replacement (and, sadly, not water tight) crystal to it. I sold it on for repair after it developed a few problems shortly afterwards. Mine was a Sea Master DeVille and I bitterly regret giving it someone not capable of doing the job right. I've recently been tracking a few on the bay but was rather horrified by how much even the stainless ones had gone up in price. There is one particularly nice one in there now with a shark chain mail bracelet, a real beauty but alas, George Osbourne's slice of my hard earned is due.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Splendid....

However, as much as I appreciate a good looking timepiece, these day's I try to steer myself away from time when angling. Time has a habit of spoiling things.
But how do you know when it is tea time? :think:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I wear a Longines Presence which I was originally given as a 21st birthday present. Sadly the original which was manual wind was lost in a car accident a few years later so this is the insurance replacement but sadly they had stopped making the manual version so it is quartz. The only pain is that to replace the battery it has to be sent away as it needs a special tool to remove the back.
A bit like my Barders I tend to use and abuse it and and so I wear it anywhere and everywhere. :hide:

Sadly the silver pocket watch I was given for my 18th birthday was taken in a burglary :hairout:

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm fortunate to be the owner of two pocket watches which I wear alternately on a fob chain with my waistcoat.

The first belonged to Mrs. AC's grandfather, and is a W. T. Lawton bought new from the shop in Runcorn in 1900.

The second is a Collingwood and Sons of Middlesborough from 1901, bought by my grandfather from a pawn brokers in around 1930 when he was promoted to Inspector on the trams in Newcastle upon Tyne and felt he needed something "official."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Snape wrote: But how do you know when it is tea time? :think:

Always tea time Prof..... :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
Snape wrote: But how do you know when it is tea time? :think:

Always tea time Prof..... :wink:
Correct! :hahaha:

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Some lovely pieces there.
I worked in the jewellery trade for a few years, and in between the Casio's and Sekonda's I would occasionally get to handle some very nice timepieces.
I don't own any classic pieces, although my current watch has been worn every day for the last 15 years, so it's getting there!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”