Traditional timepieces

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Haydn Clarke

Traditional timepieces

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Ok, so I'm not much taken with the tweed, pipe, Morris Minor, whole kit and caboodle approach to traditional angling - prefering decent warm, waterproof clobber; clean, fresh air; and a reliable, comfortable modern vehicle :wink: - but I do make one concessionary nod to yesteryear with this little item:

Watches are a bit of a vice of mine and If I won the idiot tax, what Emelda Marcos was to shoes, I'd be too vintage timepieces.

This one is what is sometimes called trench watch and dates form approx. WW 1, possibly slightly later. Sold by a maker in Allahabad called Bechtler the watch is named the "Allies Lever".

Very simple looking compared to modern cronographs...but then didn't that fella, wos'is name, Der Vinchey something or other...didn't he say that "simplicity is the ultimate sophisticaton".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Traditional timepieces

Post by Dave Burr »

You want traditional..........

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I use my Grandfather's old silver Fattorini and Sons pocket watch when fishing. I don't believe he ever fished but he was always on time. I just don't get on with wristwatches and never wear them, though yours is very nice Haydn. As for the tweed ? Well mine is decent , warm and waterproof.

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

That is a very nice watch Haydn, one i would love too have owned.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

afraid watches are wasted on me, i break them or they break or i loose them so i rely on my least traditional piece of equipment, the mobile phone, perhaps a pocket watch at some point to go with the tweed, maybe 20 years from now, but then 'traditional angling may have moved on to 'shell suits and nike'ies' :wink:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

This gold pocket watch has been handed down to me through our family for several generations. It is a lovely time piece and still works fine but I'm not sure I would dare go near to the water with it. The date inside is 18 something but unfortunately the last couple of numbers can't be read clearly. It is a dearly treasured piece of mine though. It would look nice though with its gold chain (my sister wears that) pictured alongside a worthy fish.

The watch and chain together are a picture and to know my great, great ancestors once owned and used it as a daily timepiece it has survived incredibly well. My Great Grandmother wore it around her neck for most of her adult life.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The watch I choose to wear as my everyday watch and certainly does spend time on the bank but is always removed before I handle fish also has a bit of family history but not dating back quite so far. This was my Grandfathers 25 year service watch awarded to him in 1971.

The jeweller assures me that this was the only watch to continue to work on the moon if you believe the early moon landings happened.

The watch keeps terrible time, you are supposed to have these serviced every year but at £150 a shot last time I miss a few years out. For £150 I could purchase something a little more practical and certainly more proficient at the job it is supposed to do.

But, it has character and I like to not conform. I know when I am catching well because my watch becomes much faster than other peoples, it is self winding relying on movement and too much winding gets it a trifle excited!

Whatever way, I carry part of my Grandfather George Ernest Harrison with me at all times. His watch on my left wrist and his engagement ring on one of my right fingers.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Special watches Shaun, and nice to see that the chain for the pocket watch is still in the family. I think much of the allure of these timepieces is that they keep us in touch with the past and fond memories.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

When you consider the tools that were used in the 1800's you appreciate the craftsmanship even more. All of those tiny little cogs have been delicately worked and still tick away together to this day.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Splendid....

However, as much as I appreciate a good looking timepiece, these day's I try to steer myself away from time when angling. Time has a habit of spoiling things.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”