Handmade Floats

This forum belongs to Andrew Batchelor of Handmade Floats.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Handmade Floats

Post by Snape »

champ wrote:I have some and i use them this is what they are for.Andy Bs floats are very well made and well designed.As far as i know they are designed to be used and dont have feathers etc under the varnish.There are makers that have added this "art"to their floats and good luck to them.Just my opinion :| .
They are lovely floats indeed. I used one of his small Avons on the Itchen on Sat fishing for grayling. :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

That was a very nice float indeed Snape. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Hi guys.
I make and sell what you might call arty floats, but my floats are made to be used, as I do all the time, but if you buy them to sit in a box to be look at surely what you do with them is their business, I would prefer that they were used. I make floats just as a hobby and love doing so but I can't keep them all, plus if I manage sell a few it helps paying for material. Bernard.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Any chance of some pictures of your floats BJM.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Yes let's see some we like to see floats
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I'm the same as Bernard. I like making them and I don't really do it to sell them, more for the pleasure of doing it, but I do sell them at Romsey Tackle Fair when the tackle room gets so crowded I can't move for floats. Which it is right now....surely the sign of a wet Summer, or I wouldn't have had so much time on my hands!

It's a weird situation....you can't possibly make a profit selling floats...you'd make more money cutting your neighbours lawns! And when you do let something go for a few pounds that took days and day to make you almost want to NOT sell it.

The last lot I sold..another dealer bought loads and loads...all appeared on eBay a few months later.

I'm still in shock!

Perhaps I should have done that?
Not really, I've already decided that I don't want to make a cottage industry out of it, deadlines to meet, trips to the Post Office eBay and PayPal fees and the like....too much like work!

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Nobby wrote:Yes, I'm the same as Bernard. I like making them and I don't really do it to sell them, more for the pleasure of doing it, but I do sell them at Romsey Tackle Fair when the tackle room gets so crowded I can't move for floats. Which it is right now....surely the sign of a wet Summer, or I wouldn't have had so much time on my hands!

It's a weird situation....you can't possibly make a profit selling floats...you'd make more money cutting your neighbours lawns! And when you do let something go for a few pounds that took days and day to make you almost want to NOT sell it.

The last lot I sold..another dealer bought loads and loads...all appeared on eBay a few months later.

I'm still in shock!

Perhaps I should have done that?
Not really, I've already decided that I don't want to make a cottage industry out of it, deadlines to meet, trips to the Post Office eBay and PayPal fees and the like....too much like work!
Nobby you have summed up the amateur float maker by what you put & I 100% agree with you, I dont do it for the money or anything like that but I do it to relax and unwind, and because I love making floats.
The monetary value is of no interest to me, as long as I cover my material costs & the postage the rest is done for nothing, and will continue to be like that. :thumb:

I always tell the folk who want floats off me they will be ready when they are ready, last year I tried a different approach and was making me ill so back to the more mundane way and chilling as it should be. :thumb:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Hi guys.
I would love to upload some photo's of my handmade floats for you all to see, but haven't a clue how to get them onto the forum, Help needed please.
Bernard.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I have replied to your other post Bernard, hope it helps. :)

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =61&t=3055
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Andrew Batchelor - Handmade Floats”