Jason White - first class rod restorer

This forum belongs to Jason White of Dorset.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Jason White - first class rod restorer

Post by Bobthefloat »

I think another 100 of these rods would sell very quickly

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I’d agree .. Jason’s has a small fortune out of me in the last 7 years ...worth every penny

Bendsomecane :huray:
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Who owns the right to the taper or is it known and available?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Bob the Float:
A few years back Paul Cook very nearly did a run of these rods, but with his impending house move and other factors sadly meant it never happened.

Beresford:
The actual rod tapers were worked out by John & Steve Weaver of Sharpes ‘Scottie’ Rods with input from me. I still have a MkI butt section which I was too stiff and was replaced by a further two until I was happy with the final version. The Sharpes company was wound up some years back and I have no current contact details for either gentlemen.

Here is the Fact Sheet that Sharpes put at at the time of the rod being released.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

My understanding is that these rods were built by an employee, .... sorry, I can't recall his name, .... and were of the very highest quality. Sadly, employee and employers parted company and the company didn't do so well afterwards, eventually being sold several times. Indeed it was up for sale yet again last year. In the interim period, it moved from South Ruislip, to Uxbridge and then on to nearby Cowley Peachey, by the Malt Shovel pub on the GUC.

Rods from the original company rarely change hands, the owners know what they've got. The CB Allrounder and the Avocet particularly being sought after.

I do sometimes think that floater fishing with the tip in the water to keep the line sunk can be harmful to cane rods....If I have to do it, I try not to put the rod away in the rod bag afterwards but let the air get to it .... and it wouldn't hurt to re-varnish the tip ring whippings from time to time.

I had thought that Jason had had a small website created by one of our members......Champ. I can't find it now.......

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I'm a fan of the sharpes rods I have a couple including a very special sharpes carp that used to belong to Alec Lewis which I only use for surface fishing early season coupled with 8lb line its a joy.
I do sometimes wish it had that extra reach as the CBA

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Chris,
Thank you for posting and for the catalogue page. I recall the first time I came across Sharpes of Middlesex was at the GameFair. They had what must have been one of the very first Allrounders and a tasty tweaked MkIV(ish) Avon. Sadly having ordered I waited 13 months and with no contact from them I cancelled my order. Shame that. I rarely see the Middlesex rods come up for sale. A friend of mine had an odd looking Avon built by them, it looked like a badger, but it was a very good rod.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

[quote=Nobby I had thought that Jason had had a small website created by one of our members......Champ. I can't find it now.......
[/quote]

You are correct Nobby.We set up a website to show Jasons work.There were also some rods for sale.I think that it was up for over two years and gave some good feedback.It ran its course and was closed at the end of last year.

Jason is working as usual in his workshop :Hat: .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks, Champ.

Return to “Jason White of Dorset”