Golf Course ponds

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Corneybury
Dace

Golf Course ponds

Post by Corneybury »

Does anyone know what the rules are here regarding fishing? Presumably, it's down to the individual club, but as a keen golfer, as well as a piscator, I often see some cracking looking ponds, which double as water hazards.

Ones which spring to mind at courses at which I play, and which I have seen fish (mainly carp) in are Nazeing, Mill Green, The Hertfordshire, Manor of Groves and others.

Not only are they great for finding 'lake balls', but they look to be unfished.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Golf Course ponds

Post by Olly »

Depends upon who owns the Fishing Rights, Golf Club, Council, etc. Whether they allow fishing is the choice of the Landowners, etc.

I know of only 1 local Golf Club that allows fishing - but the Lake is on the Golf Course extremities!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

A stretch of the Avon runs through a golf course I use to play at and always wondered but never asked. Maybe I'll give them a call I'm guessing it will be a no as I never did see any anglers there in my golfing days
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

A guy I used to work with was a member of a scuba diving club that used to clear the lake at a local golf course once a year. I had a half full dustbin bag of balls in the garage for years that he gave to me. Might still be there.

There is a golf course lake nearby that is fishable. Snape will attest to the big stripeys it contains. Maybe they beef up on stray balls?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I suspect some golf courses may be concerned about the insurance possibilities of anglers being laid low by errant golf balls in today's litigious world !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

A local golf club has a nice pond, its right next to the road and not near any of the holes, thats no fishing, but you can sneak on after dark for a few hours, It does contain some nice carp & tench, ive never fished it but a friend of mine has, one night a fox literally landed on his knee as it jumped through the reeds, obviously not expecting to see anyone there :Chuckle:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

JeremyCampbell

Post by JeremyCampbell »

Great Topic!
Might have to make a little under the table deal with the guy behind the desk for a go at the golf pond. :Cool:
That is one setting I haven't tried to fish before.
I've fished many places for carp.Im not sure I can even admit to some of the unconventional places where I caught them. :whistle:
but yeah a golf pond.Gotta try it.My wheels are turning.... :idea:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

It's scary at times, especially 'Tee Off' times, trust me.

Here is a 12 acre estate lake I have access to, stuck right in the centre of a huge golf course. It's a lovely lake to fish, but you do worry when you hear someone shout "FORE!!!!!"

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

The angling club I was a member of as a youngster had a pond part way on the local golf course and a lodge at the edge of the course . The pond was fairly safe from stray golf balls but if you fished the edge of the lodge next to the course it was a good idea to sit under your brolley.
I caught my first carp from the pond , small lean commons that nobody seemed to fish for and the water was a spooky misty place in the early morning or at night.
I remember one morning as it came light watching a border collie from one of the local small holdings run across the course towards me then just disappear when it got to about 30 yards away....

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Talk of stray golf balls has reminded me of a farm pool I used to fish.
It was a peaceful place until the farmer opened a shooting range over the hedge, and it began to rain stray shot. They sting a bit!
A complaint was made so the farmer put up warning signs. It still rained shot, but at least the anglers knew it was going to happen :Scared:

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”