Pretty Lake, Stanstead Abbotts

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Pretty Lake, Stanstead Abbotts

Post by Lea Dweller »

Corneybury wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 pm So another visit to this ‘pretty lake’, this time in the evening. Tried bread and sweetcorn (alternating), float fished on bottom over lilypads. Lots of knocks, twitches and float raising, surrounded by bubbles. Net result, one six inch roach 😢. Bloke next to me had bream to 3lb, tench and one nice carp. Oh well...

On the plus side (for me), he had about two tons of tackle which he had stored on a giant luggage trolley type affair at his swim. This is not my idea of fishing - I have a rod bag and a small tackle box cum seat. I asked him what he was using and got the monosyllabic reply ‘meat’. He did not seem to want to elucidate on this sage advice, so I left him and his giant tackle mountain to go home and lick my wounds.

Memo to self, must bring ‘meat’ next time - steak?, leg of lamb?, burger?
I was with you in spirit last night David, I did say that Pretty Lake can be hit and miss. You will be rewarded with a decent catch on a future visit I am sure, hopefully not next to the chap with the mountain of gear. I will keep in touch and we will hopefully fish together in a few weeks.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

For sure, Ted. Let me know when you are available

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Third visit on Monday evening. Very hot with the sun blazing down. Armed with bread, sweetcorn and “meat!” (Spam actually), I plied my trade fishing over a bed of lillies. Yet again, lots of knocks, float lifts and dips and rising bubbles. But, as before, one sole 6” roach (on sweetcorn, since you ask). Fished until 8pm, as the sun began to dip, when I received a call saying “when are you coming home?”, which of course meant time to pack up.
So, I’m not letting this beat me, my quest for a tench will continue. More to follow...

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”