The beauty of Ashmead

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Trevor
Eel

Re: The beauty of Ashmead

Post by Trevor »

Loop Erimder wrote:Ow many has he caught so far???
He's been there a couple of hours now, so I would guess that Ashmead is close to being empty

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Dry net thus far chaps. I managed an hour's stalk and cast at a couple of fish, but with the light fading rapidly I opted to get the house built and a couple of night rods out.

It's truly spectacular here, my favourite water by a country mile. A stalkers paradise it really is. Time now to recharge the batteries, tomorrow is going to be a busy one.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Tight lines Stu.... You're in the right area..... Holler if you need a net!!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Blend in, angle thoughtfully towards the fish and others, then the gods of Sir Izaac will see and reward. I'm sure the atmosphere will be electric when the water bulges on that first shocked surge from your first fish.

Best of British to you.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Nice, thanks Shaun. :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Tight lines in sunny Somerset Stu :Sun: .

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Pop down for a walk if you wish Champ!! Hope all well?

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

It's not every week we get a "new" forty pounder... It was a real pleasure to share Ashmead with Greg Freestone this week. Tough fishing in the high-pressure conditions but the only large fish caught was a corker! Gavin Lancaster from Sheffield with a common of 41lb 6oz.... The first time this fish has nudged past forty pounds. I think we will have as many as six commons approaching "Walker weight" next spring... In the meantime, autumn has arrived in style with Ruby moons, morning mists and golden trees.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Great picture and a beautiful fish.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

The pleasure was all mine Skeff :Hat:

To any big carp devotees on the forum, if you ever visit Ashmead, I guarantee you will absolutely love it. The place is just incredible and a completely unique carp fishery. Only one of us caught, but catching really isn’t the be-all and end-all at a place like Ashmead. It was a fantastic experience from start to finish and a privilege to just be there. Beautiful surroundings, an abundance of birdlife (I don’t think I’ve ever been to a lake that is home to so many kingfishers), stunning sunsets and sunrises and the chance of coming face to face with genuine monster carp. Skeff is careful to ensure that all the anglers who fish there are decent folk and know what they are doing so you won’t encounter any oiks or idiots. The anglers I fished with – Gavin, Rod and Chris (no, not that Rod & Chris) - were all true gents and proper fishermen, and Gavin’s awesome forty-one pounder was an impressive, thoroughly well-deserved capture.

Mark and Shona are the most hospitable hosts you could wish for, and go out of their way to make your visit a memorable one. Skeff’s probably tired of hearing me say this, but if you do go there, make sure you sample Shona’s cooking, especially the unbelievably tasty Berry Crumble Cake. Easily worthy of first prize in the Great British Bake Off :wave:

Can’t wait for next year! :Sun:

The beauty of Ashmead: looking out from Maxwell's Island at sunrise
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”