dorset stour

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: dorset stour

Post by Stour Otter »

Had the pleasure of Paul F (TFF member) on the river just before Christmas and although conditions were far from perfect a very enjoyable day was had. With the two of us finally managing two chub with his the best at 5lb taken of float fished bread flake. When your in good company and chatting about vintage tackle and the wild life along the river, the actual catching of fish becomes so unimportant. Thanks Paul.

May I wish all forum members a Happy Chubby Year.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Sorry for the late reply to this thread John, I did write a short journal of my days fishing with you.
Here is the photo you took of me with my 5lb'er

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

A beautiful chub Paul and well deserved. Thank you for your delightful company.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Yesterday saw me on the river bank at the famous Throop Fisheries, very cold for most of the day then the temperature really dropped around 3pm. Thankfully the water quality was improving after the recent rain with levels dropping fast, although it was still holding its colour. Struggled on the bread flake which is my preferred choice and this time of the year, so switched to a new cheese paste mix which included a strawberry topping powder additive. This produced the best chub of the day at 5lb 3oz. Good to see more bird life on the river and spent an enjoyable hour feeding a moorhen with bits of cheese and luncheon meat. All fish taken using a 10" reversed loop water knot tied as a paternoster.
Rod: "Poolson" Avon 11' 8" 3-piece split cane throughout. Reel: Avon Royal Supreme III loaded with 8lb main line. Hook: Kamasan B420 No. 8 Sedge Hook. Conditions: River dropping quickly and starting to loose colour. Water temp: 38 deg.F.

Tight lines, Stour Otter.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Lovely chub John, well done in challenging conditions

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Superb John, a fine fish, lovely looking outfit by the way. :Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Thank you Paul's. I just had to post this shot of my great friend and fellow bailiff, who pulled this 13lb 4oz beauty out of the bag with the last cast and the only fish of the day. Boy does he look happy.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

:drool: :drool: Wow what a barbel, fish of my dreams, was it caught on cane?

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Paul F wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 pm :drool: :drool: Wow what a barbel, fish of my dreams, was it caught on cane?
Sadly not Paul. But I am trying very hard to convert him, although it was caught using a centrepin reel. Still not sure about that bonnet.

Stour Otter

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

With the last four days given up to solely fishing and at this time of year only targeting the the areas I know best from previous experience. I armed myself from the very first swim with a huge bucket of mush and went for it!
The old Dorset Stour did not disappoint me and gave up her secrets, but while I am a solitary fisherman in the summer months, I do enjoy the company of a good friend in the winter and not just because it make sense bearing in mind the conditions of the banks after the seasonal flooding, but it does warm the heart to stop for a quick chat as you "leap frog" each other along the bank chasing the ground bait down stream.
This winter I have been accompanied by new angling companions and thoroughly enjoying it, I think is was Derek Law in his wonderful series "Fisherman Diary" sadly never repeated, that he said choose your companion wisely for if you pick a "chatter box" your fishing will be ruined. Sadly we have all met chatterbox's in our time. I once sat through two hours of a gentleman's account of his fishing life, before I not too politely told him to go away and leave me peace.

Running out of time and so many chub still to catch!

Stour Otter

Return to “Other Rivers”