The upper Colne

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
MGs
Catfish

Re: The upper Colne

Post by MGs » Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, looks like we learned the lessons in the traditional way. Fishing the Colne and Frays was a good grounding. Not always easy but a great way to learn watercraft. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Any fish of 1lb was a monster. I've run the whole spectrum since then, through the carp and barbel phase and now back to my beloved roach.
Sad to say your video experience is not unusual. I fished a local commercial and have had about a dozen different species. Most of the anglers only target carp. The guys who run it say I'm about the only person who actually knew what all the fish I caught were! Down to years reading everything I could get hold of in the fishing line.
I'd love to see the Colne returning to a real mixed fishery, although with the commercial pressures, I can't see it happening.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mitch300
Bleak

Post by Mitch300 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:40 am

Wasn't there a Simoniz plant at the left-most end of that rebuilt facade back in the 70's? Or am I confusing it with somewhere else?

G. B.

Clivey
Minnow

Post by Clivey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Nice thread gents!! brings back many memories for me, i used to fish the Colne a lot around Uxbridge,Denham, Harefield, i went back to visit some friends and we fished it last season the far side of Little Britain lake, where it runs next to Farlows lake. I had a mixed bag of dace and chublets but it is very low and clear compared to around 25-30 years ago.
What disappointed me was the amount of Canadian pond weed ( i think thats what it was) literally completely covering the river in some places where we used to run down stick floats when we were teenagers.

MGs
Catfish

Post by MGs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:33 am

Good to see some dace back in that stretch. My last trip to the same stretch in 2006 yielded four 4lb chub and nothing else.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Other Rivers”