Ravensbourne River

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Thameside
Gudgeon

Re: Ravensbourne River

Post by Thameside »

Used to live in Catford & always used to wonder about fishing it when I used to drive through Lewisham but was never sure where to get safe access. Similar looking stream/river in Crawford.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

There are indeed plenty of fish in the Ladywell Fields section of the Ravensbourne, its my local river, but they can be a bit finicky.
I have caught chub, dace, roach, perch, gudgeon and stickleback. There used to be trout but I haven't seen any for a couple of years now.
The best time to fish it, when it is in spate (but not too fast) and the water is coloured. It can fish well on hot summer days when the water is clear and fish are clearly visible but they are very spooky and usually catching 1 fish clears the swim (try removing the float as this scares them).
If you have a go bring a rod of 8 foot or less as there are plenty of trees. Centre pins are good as they help with accurate short casting. Brandlings or maggots work well and long totting is good.

JW

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Excellent post JW1, only now I feel gutted that I didn't explore it when I lived in Catford.
I only lived 5 minute walk from the railway station in Bromley Road.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I used to work in Rushey green catford and by the quaggy? at Lewisham from 70's onwards I am sure it was fishless back then, did it get re-stocked?

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

After Thames Water had a little accident, they spent quite a lot of money cleaning the river up (even Boris came to help) and the environment agency stocked it with roach, chub and dace but other species seemed to have crept in there, although I haven't seen any trout, which were there before the spill.
I was told there was a spot close to Catford Station called gudgeon corner, but I haven't found it yet.

JW

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I worked at an engineering works near Lewisham station , I often used to peer into the stream hoping to see a fish but cannot say I did... even a Minnow or Stickleback would have pleased me. This was back in early 70's when I know all sorts of bits and pieces went in there back then.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

With conditions perfect today, I couldn't resist an hour on the river in the park.
Started here
and straight into a fish,
I had 5 like this and a similar sized roach from just 3 swims. I didn't have time to get down below the weir, which is where the bigger fish live but well pleased. So if you are thinking of giving it a go, just after a bit of rain, when there is colour in the water, is the time to go.

JW

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Brilliant it is lovely to hear and see superb fish coming from a quite unexpected source. :Thumb: :Hat:

PS.. I hope you had a couple of Patties or a salt fish fritter for your lunch.. I certainly would.

Return to “Other Rivers”