The Wey

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
CraigM
Grayling

The Wey

Post by CraigM »

Does anyone else fish the North Wey in Farnham or upstream of the town up to Alton?

Much of the first 8 miles or so are private & well stocked with trout but there are decent chub, some barbel & pike in what is a lovely small river, usually running very clear. Not to mention plenty of minnows & big gudgeon.

I christened my Octofloat Deluxe in Farnham last week with a 3lb 2oz chub & a 1lb 10oz brownie. It's now being fully refurbished at "The Creel" as a reward!

I've had chub to 4lb 12oz & brownies to 3lb 8oz & those are by no means the biggest of those species in there.

By comparison, I've had very limited success in the South Wey at Dockenfield, nr Frensham Great Pond [Farnham AS water].

Tonkin

Re: The Wey

Post by Tonkin »

Hi ! Yes I used to fish the Wey ! But then I moved and Joined a little club which has several miles of the R Mole as well as a large Pit! We have had two lousy years with fish just !disappearing ! Where you could guarantee good chub etc ! nothing ! We ve called in a Environmental expert to do tests etc ! Apparently other rivers are experiencing similar downturns ! Whats the Wey been like ??

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

A funny river, the Wey.

The North Wey is super productive as a fishery [plenty of 4lb chub & 2lb+ trout] , but the South Wey is "difficult" [in my honest opinion - may just reflect a lack of ability on my behalf!] & the combined Wey at Elstead isn't an easy water by any means.

There is/was a large pike at Elstead which defeated my chub tackle & [@6 weeks later] a friend's similar set up, which I still plan to re-acquaint myself with next season [with trace]. She's definately 10lbs+.

Some decent fish in the Farnham sections above Elstead. Carp & Perch.

Apparently the club insist on re-stocking trout in the South Wey in April - just in time for them to be washed down into the Grayshott sections below!!

Wiley Mill no longer does day tickets.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I may have got the "beneficiary" club's name wrong.

Looking forward to fishing the N. Wey again in a few weeks time.

Have camped at Wellow Farm, so yes, that is a long way upstream!

You've now given me the prospect that my 10lb pike might have weighed 27! When was that caught? Unfortunately an old Milbro match rod & perch/chub tackle needed rather more than my "expertise" to land it whatever the weight! After about 30 seconds it went straight for a snag amongst a half submerged tree branch & we eventually parted company.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

A big thanks to Craig for showing me around the Farnham stretch of the Wey, I had a great mornings fishing indeed and shell be back there soon. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

First North Wey session of 2013 [in fact, first session of 2013] & the chub are fighting fit.

Trotted lobworm accounted for fish of 2lbs 4oz, 2lbs 7oz & a lovely one of 4lbs plus a very acrobatic small trout all in a 90 minute post work visit.

A good way to christen my Xmas present of an Allcocks Adonis, & they all fought really well in a still very fast & swollen river. I was sure that the last fish, the 4lber, was going to be a "five" but the strong flow accounted for some of the "missing" pound :Chuckle:

One of those catches where I only had fifteen minutes to pack up & get back to the car before the ticket ran out & I nearly called it a day but decided to fish one more swim, resulting in the bigger fish on the third & what would have been [honest] final trot :Thumb:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Congratulations on a nice catch
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I work in North Warnborough, some nice stretches of river up around that way, Wey, Whitewater and Blackwater. I have done a little research but was unable to find any stretches that are day ticket or free.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

John.

Have pm'd you.

Craig.

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

The north Wey is a chalk stream, the south runs through greensand. By definition the north has the greatest potential before they co-join.

I did hear a strong rumour of very large roach in the north arm - but on a strictly private section.

Return to “Other Rivers”