The Wey

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
TenchFisher

Re: The Wey

Post by TenchFisher »

Has anyone got any experience of fishing the Godalming Angling Society's stretches of the Wey . Whats the fishing like, what baits/ methods best ?

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

A little, TF will send you a pm later.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having just seen this thread, I thought I would reply. Around 1968/9 ( If my memory is correct) I lived in North London and belonged to a club called "Knights of the river" the club had the rights to fish a stretch of the Wey at Elstead. It was as pretty a stretch of water as I had seen up to then, in fact I would be struggling to remember a prettier one since! I regularly caught chub up to 4lb, dace, roach, perch, gudgeon and the odd trout. Not long afterwards I moved out of London and sadly left the club. I have heard in the last few years that the stretch has changed hands a number of times and may now be strictly private. I also was told that the fishing generally had declined quite a bit from when I fished it. As this has been the case on my local River Lea, (apart from the massive chub in some stretches) I am not surprised, but sad as I have very fond memories of my trips to Elstead.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

I didnt think any part of the Wey was a chalk stream as I understood the catchment area was mainly sandstone. I know the Tillingbourne has been mentioned as a chalk stream as well but thought his was a sandstone river too :Confused:

Anyone shed any more light ? :Hat:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Yes, the Tillingbourne is sandstone as you say. Nowadays it is crawling with Signal Crayfish. About the only excitement we get from the stream is the annual plastic duck race. :)

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

CraigM wrote:Does anyone else fish the North Wey in Farnham or upstream of the town up to Alton?

Much of the first 8 miles or so are private & well stocked with trout but there are decent chub, some barbel & pike in what is a lovely small river, usually running very clear. Not to mention plenty of minnows & big gudgeon.

I christened my Octofloat Deluxe in Farnham last week with a 3lb 2oz chub & a 1lb 10oz brownie. It's now being fully refurbished at "The Creel" as a reward!

I've had chub to 4lb 12oz & brownies to 3lb 8oz & those are by no means the biggest of those species in there.

By comparison, I've had very limited success in the South Wey at Dockenfield, nr Frensham Great Pond [Farnham AS water].

Hi Craig,

This maybe of some interest to you as they do have some club stretches in the areas you've mentioned :Thumb:

Image Image

All the best

Stuart

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Stuart.

I had two chub [largest 4lb 3oz] & two trout [1lb 12oz] on March 7th - my last river trip of the season - a little below Wrecclesham.

The North Wey is still going strong :Thumb:

Craig.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

I fish several sections of the River Wey, including one at Elstead. It's certainly true that the North Wey where our club has a trout fishing group is very attractive. But I don't dismiss the river after it rejoins and have had good fun catching some decent chub and trout along its length. Its claimed that barbel have been stocked but I've not found them yet. The gudgeon can be good (an obsession I confess to elsewhere). One of the things that i am doing for next season is preparing a series of maps of the key stretches that I use. If you wish to record exactly where you caught a good fish I think that you need to name the swims or section concerned. That way you can build a better record. In any case, i want to study the natural history of the Elstead stretch this coming year, so I will use a map for that too, locating key flora and fauna too.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Fantastic map BA, are you an artist/illustrator?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There are barbel in the Farnham section nearby and nice plan!
Last edited by Olly on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Rivers”