The river Idle

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Hovis
Tench

Re: The river Idle

Post by Hovis »

Wonderful little river that I've fished for years. I explored a fair few reaches and walked most stretches. I've introduced a few TFF members and they have all caught including a few special fish. You are never going to sit all day in a swim and catch fish after fish but for roving with a rod and a net its perfect. Of anyone wants any help on there, like penninelad says just drop a pm. We'll all get together and try for a barble if peope are up for it? Fish wise its holds some surprises including double figure barbel, 2lb+ roach and perch along with some huge chub. Lots pf pike in the lower sections too. Even the fishing higher up in the moarn/midden is good if you know where to look
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

Not a river I have fished in years. As a junior I used to fish matches at Haxey Gate, hard wasn't in the dictionary then, lucky to weigh 12oz some days. I always remember one match where it was coming down in the proverbial manner for hours but they hadn't started pumping or opened the sluice. We all had to keep moving up the bank like we were fishing the tidal Trent!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have now become a full member of the club that controls 6 miles of double bank fishing on the Idle and am thus able to take a guest.I will probably fish the river on Monday 5th December( subject to the river not being in flood)so if anybody would like to join me send me a PM.Not easy fishing but TFF members have caught good sized chub,barbel,perch and roach from this river in recent years.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

The Idle has been my favourite river for chub and barbel fishing for the last four years. Many stretches have been decimated by the EA taking out all bankside trees and bushes over both the Derby County AC and free Retford town stretch and I understand other stretches. The fish have no where to hide from the cormorants and goosanders that are present in large numbers, roosting on the neighbouring gravel pits. It was therefore refreshing to read on the Idle Facebook page that the Angling Trust are considering legal action against the EA for this pointless act of vandalism. As I understand it , the EA did not even bother to consult any of the controlling clubs before they did it !
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have struggled on the Idle this year having caught one decent barbel and a few sizeable perch and chub.However the fishing should now improve as the weed dies off so if anyone wants a day as my guest on the Derby County stretch(six miles double bank)send me a PM.Please indicate you have done so on this thread as I no longer receive email notifications of PM's.Does anyone know why this is?
Mark Davies

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Penninelad wrote: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 am I have been fishing the Idle in the Retford at least once a week from the start of the season to the end of November and have had some decent fish.Plenty of Barbel the best two 9 & 10lbs and three chub over 5 lbs as well as plenty between 21/2 and 4lbs.The fishing is not easy and I have had plenty of bank days.I only managed once decent roach but I will carry on targeting the roach and the chub.I tend to move about and rarely see anybody elee fishing.Many thanks to Hovis for giving me some guidance as to how to fish the river.If anybody would like to join us for a day send me a PM.
PM sent!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I might have a little cast tgis Friday if I can escape work. I'll keep you updated.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Sorry Darren I am taking Dave Jubb from the Royal Hotel,Dungworth.Email me with your free dates.BSC and myself will be going somewhere on Sunday although we have not decided where yet.
Mark Davies

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Hi Mark,i would love a days fishing with you again if at all possible ?
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Richard send me some dates when you are free and we arrange a day.
Mark Davies

Return to “Other Rivers”