River Frome (Dorset)

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: River Frome (Dorset)

Post by Paul F »

Such a shame Bob, with all the planning you had done.
It is one of the hazards of winter fishing for grayling
don;t give up, it is a great river

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It is a lovely river so we will certainly be back. Stuart plans to revisit again before the end of the season but I may not be able to justify the cost again so soon.

I guess that you will recognise the swims in the photo's and agree that they are certainly good ones. A member arrived and clearly was miffed not to have been 10 minutes earlier and beaten us to them! :surrender:
Paul F wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:18 pm Such a shame Bob, with all the planning you had done.
It is one of the hazards of winter fishing for grayling
don;t give up, it is a great river
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Such a shame Bob but an interesting read nonetheless! Hope Stuart has better luck next time :Thumb: Ted

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Personally, I like the target fish to be difficult to achieve rather than feel it is a gift. I figure that when you reach your goal Bob, you will feel deep satisfaction..... and relief.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The river looks very low and clear in the "Salmon Hut" picture. As you found out - a bit of rain and it's up by a foot or so and like a mud stream!

It has risen by 18 inches in the past during the the time I have driven to there in the morning from near the M25! One of the quickest rising rivers I know.

Shame about the fish but it needs another visit or two!

Forgot - came up about 20cm whilst you were there!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bad luck Bob! It happens every so often that "The best laid plans" etc, you could not have foreseen the change in conditions, better luck next time!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

When I saw the rise in water level on Saturday I guessed you might struggle. At one time there were silt traps on the tank ranges at Bovington but I'm not sure they work any more hence it colouring up very quickly. I last fished that area 30 years ago - I've done better further up for the bigger grayling - but now there are some chub in the river, thinking about it, that swim looks the sort of water that might hold chub. If Stuart does return this season remember that the season closes on 28th Feb as the salmon season starts on 1st March.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It is always good to have a reason for failure! Stuart purchased a winter ticket which is only up to the end of February.
DaceAce wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 am When I saw the rise in water level on Saturday I guessed you might struggle. At one time there were silt traps on the tank ranges at Bovington but I'm not sure they work any more hence it colouring up very quickly. I last fished that area 30 years ago - I've done better further up for the bigger grayling - but now there are some chub in the river, thinking about it, that swim looks the sort of water that might hold chub. If Stuart does return this season remember that the season closes on 28th Feb as the salmon season starts on 1st March.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am It is always good to have a reason for failure! Stuart purchased a winter ticket which is only up to the end of February.
DaceAce wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 am When I saw the rise in water level on Saturday I guessed you might struggle. At one time there were silt traps on the tank ranges at Bovington but I'm not sure they work any more hence it colouring up very quickly. I last fished that area 30 years ago - I've done better further up for the bigger grayling - but now there are some chub in the river, thinking about it, that swim looks the sort of water that might hold chub. If Stuart does return this season remember that the season closes on 28th Feb as the salmon season starts on 1st March.
Having said all that, Rich Cleavage and I managed a two pounder each out a swollen river :tea: Just saying is all. :whistle:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:46 am
Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am It is always good to have a reason for failure! Stuart purchased a winter ticket which is only up to the end of February.
Having said all that, Rich Cleavage and I managed a two pounder each out a swollen river :tea: Just saying is all. :whistle:
Dave,
As I have said many times before, "You are my hero"! :Tongue:

Return to “Other Rivers”