The River Bollin

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

The River Bollin

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Today I went for a look around some of my clubs stretches of rivers as I intend to fish them more next season and I have never visited them before.

I wondered if any members have ever fished or currently fish the Bollin?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The River Bollin

Post by Dave Burr »

Never heard of it Jack but discovering a new water is always an exciting prospect and I'm certain you're in for a fun time next season.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I know a guy that fishes the free stretch in Wilmslow last season,he told me he runs a float through and catches,chub dace and a few small barbel.
It was once a glorious trout stream but badly polluted and neglected,now in recovery though and not many bothering with it.
Worth a go,ive seen trout rising at castle mill near the airport but not fished,where are your club waters jack?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A river I have not heard of - I suspect there are plenty of those!

http://satonmyperch.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... up-to.html

Seems he caught a good few on his day there - chub, dace, trout and roach.

EsoxMitchell
Minnow

Post by EsoxMitchell »

I had my PB out of the bollin of 9lb 4oz Barbel some years back!!. It was on the Lymm card at Heatley on the weir!!.
I have just joined Lymm again this year so will be fishing there waters again!!.
There are also some great Brown trout to be had on the Warrington card of the Bollin as well, had them to over 6lb in the past!!.

Regards James.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

EsoxMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:26 pm I had my PB out of the bollin of 9lb 4oz Barbel some years back!!. It was on the Lymm card at Heatley on the weir!!.
I have just joined Lymm again this year so will be fishing there waters again!!.
There are also some great Brown trout to be had on the Warrington card of the Bollin as well, had them to over 6lb in the past!!.

Regards James.
Lymm is my club and that is the section I walked that day! Small world. Nice to know there are barbel in there. The bank access is much better upstream of the road bridge and the flow is much more steady. I was thinking of concentrating my efforts up that end of the beat. Did you fish that bit much?

I have to admit my river angling skills aren't fantastic growing up on the Weaver, which is more like a canal with a good tow on it. I hope to fish the rivers like the Bollin and the Dane much more this season. There are quite a few stretches of the Severn on the card too, although they are not as close to me. Might be worth an explore as well though.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Kevin wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:54 am I know a guy that fishes the free stretch in Wilmslow last season,he told me he runs a float through and catches,chub dace and a few small barbel.
It was once a glorious trout stream but badly polluted and neglected,now in recovery though and not many bothering with it.
Worth a go,ive seen trout rising at castle mill near the airport but not fished,where are your club waters jack?
I'm with Lymm Anglers. So we have a beat at Heatley (Mill and Cinder they call it), Redish Hall Farm near Lymm / Rushgreen and Tanyard Farm near Ashley.

I have only walked the Mill and Cinder lengths so far.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

EsoxMitchell
Minnow

Post by EsoxMitchell »

Hi MaggotDrowner,

some years ago I fished it a lot and had some great fish off there!!, With not being in Lymm for some years I have not fished it much.
Most of the better fish came from the weir and down stream!!. Above the weir it`s much slower flow and not had many fish off there.
They have also put in a Salmon ladder at the side of the weir, many years ago you used to see what we thought were Trout going up the weir but have now found they were in fact Salmon, coming up the Manchester Ship Canal, The Reddish Hall stretch witch flows into the ship canal down stream.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

EsoxMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:45 pm Hi MaggotDrowner,

some years ago I fished it a lot and had some great fish off there!!, With not being in Lymm for some years I have not fished it much.
Most of the better fish came from the weir and down stream!!. Above the weir it`s much slower flow and not had many fish off there.
They have also put in a Salmon ladder at the side of the weir, many years ago you used to see what we thought were Trout going up the weir but have now found they were in fact Salmon, coming up the Manchester Ship Canal, The Reddish Hall stretch witch flows into the ship canal down stream.
Hi

I found this thread interesting as this stretch is near me. What species did you catch?

Return to “Other Rivers”