The River Dore

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Troydog
Tench

The River Dore

Post by Troydog »

First thing in the morning I'm onto BBC weather to see what rain is coming down the line, but also what rain has fallen in the catchment overnight. So in my part of the world Rhayader is saved as a favourite. When I click on 'observations' it tells me exactly what precipitation has fallen in the last twelve hours.

I then go to 'river levels' starting right up at the source of the Wye and then down through Builth Wells and Glasbury to see what will be happening in Hereford twelve hours hence. (It usually takes water 12 hours to get from Glasbury to Hereford)

Now all this is well and good when its raining but all the Atlantic depressions for the last six months or so have been blocked by High Pressure systems over Europe. And now many of the Wye tributaries are drying up. These are not chalk streams so there is no sub surface water emerging.

The river Dore, home to some very large grayling, is now just a series of puddles and the EA people are out rescuing what remains of the fish stock.

Challenging times.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: The River Dore

Post by RBTraditional »

Worrying times indeed Troydog. Down here in Kent we had a dull drizzly summer with the exception of one good four week period from mid June into July, but no proper rain, the previous winter and spring had been unusually dry and now Southern Water are calling for a drought order...Bewl water our largest reservoir is only a third full
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Same situation over here in Belgium, the rivers are very low, lakes almost empty. Very worrying situation. Bobby

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Incredible really gentlemen. Is it global warming or just seasonal fluctuations? I don't know whether anyone really knows......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Other Rivers”