River Cherwell

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Snape
Bailiff

River Cherwell

Post by Snape »

Does anyone fish the Cherwell? It is my nearest river but I never fish it. I know it used to be good but went downhill badly a few years ago.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Trevor
Eel

Re: River Cherwell

Post by Trevor »

It's certainly not the river it used to be, but I sometimes fish the Somerton stretch. It's a rather nice run of water with a small weir at the top end, meandering along to the bridge before heading south with a mixture of features.
I've never caught anything of any great size, but there's a good mix of species and at this time of year you usually have the place to yourself.
Further south at Heyford also looks interesting, though I haven't visited it yet

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events ... ements.htm
Snape the EA spent some money on the river in conjunction with the Barbel society I have been told the Chub are showing again in certain stretches will check with some friends at the weekend who fish it and let you know.
Fancy a trip up there before the end of the season?
Bumble

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

It ran through the village I was brought up in and was the first river I fished. Many happy memories from sessions on the Cherwell. I haven't fished it for a long time now though.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bumble wrote:http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events ... ements.htm
Snape the EA spent some money on the river in conjunction with the Barbel society I have been told the Chub are showing again in certain stretches will check with some friends at the weekend who fish it and let you know.
Fancy a trip up there before the end of the season?
Bumble
Sounds promising Bumble. Yes I fancy a go before mid March :Thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Room for a little one?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

A lovely stretch of it goes through the landscape gardens of Rousham. ( you can visit the gardens but no fishing there)
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

The Oxford Angler
Stickleback

Post by The Oxford Angler »

A very old thread, I know, but as a new member I'm sure I'll be forgiven. I have just moved to Lower Heyford and feel I should do some research into the stretch of Cherwell that runs through the village I now call home. I walked up the river today with my family and it looks very interesting indeed. When all the festivities are done with I shall have time to take a rod out with me. I'm not sure who has the fishing rights but I'll see what I can do.
Last edited by The Oxford Angler on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Oxford Angler wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm A very old thread, I know, but as a new member I'm sure I'll be forgiven. I have just moved to Lower Heyford and feel I should do some research into the stretch of Cherwell that runs through the village I know call home. I walked up the river today with my family and it looks very interesting indeed. When all the festivities are done with I shall have time to take a rod out with me. I'm not sure who has the fishing rights but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for reviving this thread.
I haven't tried the Cherwell for a long time to may need to have a go again.
Lower Heyford is only 13 miles from me. If you find a nice stretch I'll be interested. :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

River Cherwell (Thames Tributary) Clubs who have/had water.

Banbury and District Angling Association
Gerrards Cross and Uxbridge District Angling Society
Kidlington Angling Society
Oxford and District Angling Association
The Abingdon and Oxford Anglers Alliance

Return to “Other Rivers”