River Cray

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
PerchBasher

Re: River Cray

Post by PerchBasher »

Lovely pictures Craycane and thanks for sharing them.

A few years ago when ledgering a worm on the Darent at Horton Kirby (the stretch that runs parallel to the Dartford and District APS lakes), I caught a lovely looking trout of around a pound and half which I assumed had migrated downstream from your club’s stretch?

My thoughts turned to a nice grilled trout for supper accompanied by a green salad, buttery new potatoes and washed down with a glass or two of crisp white, but a mother and her young son were standing behind me and had seen me land the fish, so you’ll be pleased to hear I did the decent thing and released it!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

PerchBasher wrote:Not the most scenic fishing, nor arguably the best, but never the less, a rare example of a small stream on the outskirts of London where the fishing ahs radically improved over the years. http://www.londonslostrivers.com/river-cray.html

The Cray rises in Orpington and flows into the Darent, upstream of Dartford. I first fished it as a boy in the late 1960’s and the fishing was poor with only gudgeon and small roach to be had. Over the years, the industries that once lined its banks have now gone, with them the pollution and as one of perhaps the only benefits of the de-industrialisation of Britain, the fishing is better.

I fish it both up and downstream of Crayford and there are roach, dace, chub, perch, and the occasional escapee small carp. Its shallow so free lining or light ledgering are a better option than trotting. It’s not a “stay in one swim all day” type of river so a roving approach with the minimum of tackle is recommended.

The Cray is not an easy river, but if the area, do give it a try. Local angler en route to the gravel pits in the Darent Valley turn their noses up but I’ve had roach to a pound, chub to three pounds and dace to a stonking 7 ounces!
Hi pb,

I'm very pleased to say that in the last few years the cray has done fairly well with it's fish stocks, the size of the fish you mention are now a lot bigger, this is my main local river, fishing it religiously for the last few years,

I've now had my pb roach from there at dead on 2lb and and also my pb dace at a very good 12 oz :secret:
There's also chub in there between 5-6lb and I've had em to a respectable 4lb.

There is sadly the odd bit of rubbish about but isn't necessarily from anglers as this river doesn't realy get fished that much ,

Michael who lives locally and who is the head voluntary organiser for Thames 21 of the cray region do have small working parties of river clean ups every few months, which is obviously a good thing and I've definitely seen an improvement as a whole in the last few years :Thumb:

Happy days and Cray ways :fishing2:

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

I was pleased to stumble on this thread.

Grew up in Bexley (nearly Dartford) in the 1950s and the Cray was my local river. Poor water quality in those days and few fish, as far as I could see; just remember catching a few tiddlers and tadpoles with a net (proper fishing came later, and not on the Cray).

Very heartening to hear from the above posts how much better the situation is now. Was inspired to visit my old haunts at Footscray Meadows for a walk, and the river though low was looking great; lots of weedbeds, insects and some nice chub and roach to be seen in places. Pity about the No Fishing notices on this stretch though.

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

Some pics of me local Cray that has once again started to produce some nice roach :Thumb:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Lovely pictures of the river and it looks like it is doing well despite all this dry weather, I did wonder how the Darent is doing as well.

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

Reedling wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am Lovely pictures of the river and it looks like it is doing well despite all this dry weather, I did wonder how the Darent is doing as well.
Yea mate to be honest the Cray couldn't be looking any better, it looks to be on top form at the moment with normal river levels,
The Darent seems to be ok aswell, it's always been more of a shallower chalk stream than the Cray but seems to be looking ok :Thumb:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Cray Stalker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:05 am
Reedling wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am Lovely pictures of the river and it looks like it is doing well despite all this dry weather, I did wonder how the Darent is doing as well.
Yea mate to be honest the Cray couldn't be looking any better, it looks to be on top form at the moment with normal river levels,
The Darent seems to be ok aswell, it's always been more of a shallower chalk stream than the Cray but seems to be looking ok :Thumb:
That is excellent news would hate to hear of either stream drying up and having problems. :Hat:

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

Reedling wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:09 am
Cray Stalker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:05 am
That is excellent news would hate to hear of either stream drying up and having problems. :Hat:
:Hat: :fish:

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Nice pictures Stuart, when this heat wave abates I will be back down there.

JW

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

JW1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 pm Nice pictures Stuart, when this heat wave abates I will be back down there.

JW
:Thumb:

Return to “Other Rivers”