dorset stour

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: dorset stour

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done John, a particularly nice roach, did you weigh it?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Keston, I have just purchased some new strike indicators from "Fish Pimp" which carry a little more shot if required and a quick dipping of the flake before casting will assist presentation to shy fish not taking surface floating free lining, although technically this may not be considered free lining in it's true sense.

Bite indicator 1.jpg

Still after them.
Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Stour Otter wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 am Keston, I have just purchased some new strike indicators from "Fish Pimp" which carry a little more shot if required and a quick dipping of the flake before casting will assist presentation to shy fish not taking surface floating free lining, although technically this may not be considered free lining in it's true sense.

Bite indicator 1.jpg

Still after them.
Stour Otter
Whether technically free lining or not it's a good idea and if it's working well as it seems to be then brilliant and nicely done :Hat:
Thank you S.O.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Dorset Stour

Post by Stour Otter »

Having shivered in the river yesterday at Throop, although all in a good cause as all work parties are and deciding to try and stay dry today as the old bones are not as they were. I had envisaged a day on the swan quill, but the blustery wind and churning river conditions proved difficult in my first chosen swim and with the water over the bank and still running very coloured. Heading upstream for the last hour from the bottom car park and dropping below a high bank out of the wind, I mushed up my last loaf of bread and added some powdered milk, heaving in three good sized balls to the inside down stream bank, I slipped off the quill, leaving a barrel olivetti running to a stop shot 20" above the hook, then pinched on a single No.4 two inches from the flake.
It didn't take long for those quick lightening fast bites to start, but are impossible to hit. Waiting for the long slow pull is always the answer under such conditions and thankfully Bill Graham (Bounds Bailiff) was on hand to land this beautiful 2lb 11oz roach with some superb netting. Thanks Bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wow what a dream roach, well done John, I hope they are around when I join you soon :Wink:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a wonderful fish John, it would be the fish of a lifetime for most of us!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Now that's a cracker - Xmas come early!!

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Wow, what a fish! Very well done, John. Bobby

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Beautiful roach, well done indeed.

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon