dorset stour

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: dorset stour

Post by Lea Dweller »

Stour Otter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:31 pm Thank you gentlemen. Still after them!

00012.jpg

Stour Otter
Well done John, that looks like another monster!

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Fantastic to see big roach from a river.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Two nights away in Bournemouth from tomorrow.

Luckily Mrs Matthews likes a nice walk, so the Muscliffe free section is already down as a highlight of (my) the trip!

About 70 minutes from me so fancy a trip or two next season.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Longham is a nice stretch aswell Craig, it used to be free
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Longham still a free stretch, as is Muscliffe as stated. May I also point out that they are both Nature Reserves, run by BCP councils. The Angling Trust has a local bailiff who patrols the Muscliffe water. Both sites have a heavy footfall of dog walkers, cyclists, runners, horse riders and twitchers.
Although I advised a friend only this season, to keep all this baits well covered and tackle close at hand, he still managed to have a dog grab his bread bait, containing a No.6 hook!
NOT THE DOGS FAULT. Dogs will smell food a very long way off, even before they come into view to the angler. Please be mindful of this, if considering fishing these sections next season. The council car parks are closed at 6pm and locked!

John
Last edited by Stour Otter on Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Lovely Roach Stour Otter. Are you fishing the same areas as Dace Ace? His videos are on You Tube with links on the forum I believe.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello ExeAngler. To be truthful I haven't watched Dace Ace's vids yet. I had some cracking fish from the RDAA water in the area. This season, I've switched tactics, using a short pole close in, either laying on or holding back the float, while feeding pearl barley.
But I just finished reading a book by a Henry G. Maurice, C.B., called "Sometimes an Angler", published in 1947. On page 123, he tells of fishing in Normandy in 1938 with the locals for trout, using a paste made from Camembert cheese and flour . . .something to think about!

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Enjoyed our stroll along the Stour on Tuesday, punctuated by regular stops for me to peer into the river/assess likely swims !
Fished at Throop @ 3 or 4 times when taken there in my mid teens by a friend of my Dad's. A much longer trip from Epsom Downs than from N.Hants. Better still, it can only be @ half an hour from work in Southampton, although trips to the lower Itchen at Riverside Park are very much on the cards on work days. Caught my first fish of over a pound at Throop. A 4lb barbel.
I second Stour Otter's sentiments about bait & baited hooks even where dogs aren't expected.
Looking forward to several returns next season.

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

nice roach sir ,i fish the lower stour and avon and use hemp and tares in the summer to avoid the bleak ,i was thinking of giving pearl barley a go next season do you fish it on its own or with hemp.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

ItchenRoach wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 pm nice roach sir ,i fish the lower stour and avon and use hemp and tares in the summer to avoid the bleak ,i was thinking of giving pearl barley a go next season do you fish it on its own or with hemp.
Hello ItchenRoach. I fish it on its own, with a small light crumb/bran feed. I find the Auger "Blue Devil" No.10 suit the grain best. It's a wide gape/short shank spade hook. I certainly will be giving the Camembert cheese and flour a pasting!

Pearl Barley
Preparation: 1/2 cup (80g) of Pearl Barley in an empty Thermos flask (1ltr), add flavouring or colouring, if required; ie Turmeric (Yellow); PRIDE food colouring (red); Vanilla or Brandy essence for flavouring; or Pilau/Tandoori spice mix, crumble OXO cube or just experiment.
Add boiling hot water from kettle, screw top on flask, shake and leave for 2.5-3 hours on its side. Next, empty flask into sieve (metal best); wash contents through thoroughly twice with boiling water from kettle, while still in sieve, over sink. This will eradicate the starch from the Pearl Barley. Leave sieve in sink overnight to drain, empty contents into bait box.
Cost: 500g bag of Pearl Barley 55-69p or less.

Hope this helps.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Rivers”