The Warren Pond

This forum belongs to Warren Pond.
GazTheAngler

Re: The Warren Pond

Post by GazTheAngler »

The Corporation of London have removed most of the Larger Carp from the Epping Forest Ponds.

The reasons they give for this is to dicourage night fishing, which isn't allowed, discourage poaching for food and that the larger carp tend to do damage to the aquatic environment in the ponds by rooting up the bottom etc.

They have stocked some of the ponds with more Tench and Crucians. I know they are trying to use Strawberry Hill Pond as a Crucian breeding pond. Fishing is prohibited there, but last season I was toild the ban had been lifted and caught 6 nice little cru's wich looked prue bred to me, before I was, nicelt, asked to leave by a Forest Ranger.

I've seen Carp to high single figures in a few of the smaller ponds and I'm sure that there a still some reasonable fish left in Connaught Waters, Highams Park and Wake valley, though they a probably very thin on the ground. I would think there must be a few in the Ornamentals too.

Gaz

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I used to fish Warren Ponds in the 60s as a kid. You could catch the number 38 bus from South Chingford where I lived to the terminus at Royal Forest Hotel, and walk across the road. I remember it being very shallow and very weedy, but you could see the weeds moving as the fish nosed about in them. It always had a reputation as a tench pond, although I never caught any, but always lived in hope. Has anyone fished it in the last couple of years or is it all silted up?

Benno
Gudgeon

Post by Benno »

I fished it last year had two 12lb commons it is very silty now it was closed for a while this year for work so not sure what they have done

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Tench Dreamer wrote:3 hours yesterday afternoon with my 8 year old son.

The float wobbled abit with all the 2 inch Rudd headbutting my peice of breadflake :o

We spent most of our time looking at a bright orange and black creepy crawley as well as feeding the ducks...And watching out for rabbits

Maybe next we will catch a fish I told H as we walked towards the Ice cream shop on the way home :wink:
Sounds like a lovely day out. "Watching out for Rabbits" now we know why the pond has that name. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I'm definitely having a day there next summer

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Am I correct in thinking there was a local museum close. The memory is " full" but I think there were stuffed carp from the 60s freeze. And " man traps" keeping off poachers from early times

Return to “Warren Pond”