The lost letters of Dick Walker

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Nailbourne

The lost letters of Dick Walker

Post by Nailbourne »

TheDodger's thread on a letter he received from Dick Walker about carp rods engendered a lot of interesting discussion.

Considering what a prolific letter-writer he was, I wonder whether any other TFF members have any that they would be prepared to share?

Considering that we have 'Drop Me a Line' (Ingham/Walker letters) and 'The Stone-Walker Letters', it would be fascinating to compile a volume of his letters to the many anonymous anglers to whom he wrote in answer to their questions.

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: The lost letters of Dick Walker

Post by Northern Eel »

a few months ago I saw one of Dick Walkers letters for sale in a shop along with some photos & a cassette, the letter was about his capture of Clarissa, In the photos he was holding Clarissa & the cassette contained an interview with the man himself.

Due to the fact that it was priced at £POA (I take this to mean, if you have to ask you cant afford it)
I didnt bother asking!
:Happy:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It would be lovely to read some more of Dick's letters.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I agree Mark - there should be a complete edited book, - or a series of books, due to the enormous volume.

TheDodger
Minnow

Post by TheDodger »

Well, Mark & Fairlies, I am - and have been quite happy to share some of the material I received. The response has been fascinating. Nailbourne suggests perhaps a bound book or maybe comb-bound edition. But what would go in?

In early last December Angler's Mail published a letter by Steve Fitton 'More Council Dosh Needed' about the desirability of local authorities spending more on angling. Although unlikely in the present full-on attack on public services given what the EA and LA's are suffering , his point nevertheless remains a valid one. It set me hunting through my old papers.

In 1970 - 72 I corresponded with Dick Walker on how to go about such a venture. Dick's advice was absolutely superb. More importantly, it lead to the construction of a pool of around an acre in size (and the subsequent formation of Urmston Angling Association in 1974 when the water finally opened for fishing). It thrives to this day. The UAA tells its own tale from 1974 on its website urmstonanglers.net, but the advice Dick gave to me, was part of an extensive correspondence between us which has never been published before except for the extracts I have shared here this week concerning 'stepped up carp' and the weight - or otherwise - of healthy fish!. Dick's words run to about 2,000+ words in total, about half of it being about the lobbying for, construction of, stocking, and management of the pool, the rest concerns miscellaneous angling and rod-building queries I pestered him with (I was between 16 - 18 yrs old at that time and fishing mad).

Nailbourne and I identify a couple of points
1) copyright - is Dick's widow Pat contactable (assuming she holds his copyright) to secure permission (and would this be forthcoming)?
2) who else has text they are willing to share?
3) format - a hard copy TFF subscribers edition, pamphlet or what?

I may have these in the wrong order. Anyone have any constructive suggestions that may help this enterprise? Or other suggestions? I should add that I see this as a purely co-operative non-profit making venture, solely for the furtherance of angling culture and a tribute to the hitherto unknown effort Dick put into helping people like myself. What do TFF-ers think?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Dick Walker was positively prolific with his replies to letters sent to him and it occurred to me just whom might hold the copyright to such a letter?

If any copyright exists at all, I'd suspect it is the property of the recipient, not Mr. Walker's estate.
Last edited by Nobby on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

The Dodger and I have checked this out. A letter's a bit like a book - you own the object, but the contents (text and illustrations) are copyright and can only be used elsewhere with permission.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Walker Letters

Dick Walker was my childhood hero and I wrote to Dick Walker c/o Angling Times where he wrote a weekly fishing column.
“Drop Me A Line” which he co wrote with Maurice Ingham is still one of my favourite books, and was a huge source of inspiration to me. Dick was a good role model for us young and impressionable anglers.

I’ve kept these letters for many years and wanted to share them before they’re lost.

I was 15 when I wrote my first letter to him in April 1975, asking questions about his book “Still Water Angling”, and the date of an old Ambidex Reel that I had just found and of Maurice Ingham.

In February 1976 I wrote again asking questions about Redmire Pool, which he answered quite comprehensibly.

The last letter I wrote him was in June 1976 after reading a pre season article in Angling Times about the prospects of the carp record being broken. In this article it discussed the belief held by many anglers that Redmire did still contain carp that could beat the Walkers 44lb record fish. It also went on to state that Dick Walker had actually rescued a huge carp weighing 58lbs that had grounded itself on the shallows whilst spawning.

Mehmet Hassan (Jardine)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Fascinating stuff Mehmet. Many thanks for sharing these letters.

Pete

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you for sharing those letters with us Mehmet. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Dick Walker”