Luga00 wrote:The Guv'nor.

Still an inspiration...

:cheers:
Absolutely... :Hat:

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: On this day in 1918

Post by Chris Bettis »

I certainly shall, he was more than the carp grandfather, he was, without doubt the greatest angler of his, or anyones time. We all owe so much to him.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I wasn't aware until just now, but I must of had an idea, because I nearly drowned poor Richard yesterday and im suffering from my Unknown celebration today.

Belated wishes to the memory of the man. :wave:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I must have had him with me yesterday. I am pretty sure he led those beast to my hook!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I have so much respect for the man but far from being a traditionalist he was at the very forefront of the modern tackle revolution. He brought tackle development well and truly out the dark ages and was keen on anything new. He was a big mover in progressing carbon fibre usage and disliked centrepin reels.
There has never been anyone else in the history of angling that has popularised the pursuit of big fish showing it was possible to actually set out to catch big fish and the silly old phrase of a fish of a lifetime no longer seemed to need to exist.
Dick Walker I will always salute for bringing big fish angling forward so quickly in such massive leaps. It does surprise me that Traditional anglers hold him in high esteem as he was so far from being a traditional angler himself and would have taken much amusement from our little group.
Richard Walker, rest in paradise.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I think the great man would shudder at some of the modern day fishing attitudes and totally understand how some people would seek to follow a different path and focus on true angling values, all be it with bits of wood and round whirly things, which I agree he probably would find quite amusing given his skill and drive to develop better tackle !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I will never forget his birthday, I also was born May 29, not 1918 though :cheers:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mushy wrote:I think the great man would shudder at some of the modern day fishing attitudes and totally understand how some people would seek to follow a different path and focus on true angling values, all be it with bits of wood and round whirly things, which I agree he probably would find quite amusing given his skill and drive to develop better tackle !!
I have to agree Mushy.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I was using some of his "Mud" last night to sink my leader.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote: Thu May 29, 2014 12:38 am Gentlemen, on this day in 1918 a young man was born, his name, Richard Walker.

I think a toast is called for this evening gentlemen. :cheers:

Here are two lovely pictures of the man himself in his later years, courtesy of Mike Wilson, thank you Mike.

Happy birthday Dick. :cheers:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Dick Walker”