Richard Walkers own homemade reel.

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Fredline
Tench

Richard Walkers own homemade reel.

Post by Fredline »

Image Image Image Image Image Hi, I have just purchased this reel thinking it was a Barry Grantham early BB model. I emailed Barry and he has stated that it is not one of his. Further investigation lead me to a thread on the TFF via Len Arbery regarding the reel that Richard Walker made for BB. On the page BB's reel it shows R.W's rod , net and a reel that was made by R.W. This is the reel I have just bought. I have also just found a picture of R.W. at his work bench showing the reel in the back ground. It is superbly engineered and spins forever despite having a telephone spool latch.
I bought from a woman from Yorkshire who has no idea about fishing . She told me she got from a dealer she has been using for years who is a house clearance/boot sale type person.
I have added a picture of the reel alongside a J. W. Youngs 5 ½" Trudex to compare the size. The R.W. is just a tad bigger but it weighs in at 298g compared to the Trudex which weighs in at 420g.
I have just discovered that the box the reel came in is embossed "J.A.P. Villiers" who supplied engines to the lawn mower industry including Lloyds. These are the latest pictures including a silhouette of Wallace holding the rod and reel. Image Image

Last edited by Fredline on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:32 am, edited 14 times in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Richard Walkers own homemade reel.

Post by Snape »

Blimey! :shocked:
Does that mean the seller didn't know about the Walker provenance?
Well done.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Will you take a tenner,cash mind !

Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Speechless, please tell us more :Beg:

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

I trust you are going to use it otherwise why keep it?
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

This is all very, very interesting; all the more so as it would appear that the seller had no idea of the reels provenance. You will indeed have to tell us more. :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Any chance of a look inside? Well done, to think someone owned it and never knew, given walkers high regard is astonishing.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

What a find, just amazing. It's worth an absolute fortune. A holy grail type moment I think. It would be interesting to compare this to the BB reel, who owns that? Doing so could confirm the provenance beyond any doubt. What I don't understand is why a woman in Yorkshire with no knowledge of or interest in fishing would acquire this in the first place. Either way it doesn't matter. It's your's now. Possibly the most significant fishing find of the year!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

What a great find!!!

Clean it up and go catch some carp on it right away! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Wonderful find.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Dick Walker”