Met a chap in the pub whose Uncle baited Redmire up for Richard Walker and...

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Met a chap in the pub whose Uncle baited Redmire up for Richard Walker and...

Post by Tengisgol »

...his family still have a bunch of letters from Mr Walker!

Almost unbelievable isn't it. I am in Gloucester for Christmas and I wandered down to the local for a Xmas day pint with the lads and one of them came up with this tale. His Uncle got to know Richard Walker because he was interested in carp and, under instruction from RJW before a visit, used to drive over to Redmire on his motorcycle and bait up the swims for him before he was due to visit.

They still have letters from him and I am fixing up to go and have a look at them! Fingers crossed, let's hope there is an old cane rod in the corner!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Met a chap in the pub whose Uncle baited Redmire up for Richard Walker and...

Post by Harry H »

Tengisgol wrote:...his family still have a bunch of letters from Mr Walker!

Almost unbelievable isn't it. I am in Gloucester for Christmas and I wandered down to the local for a Xmas day pint with the lads and one of them came up with this tale. His Uncle got to know Richard Walker because he was interested in carp and, under instruction from RJW before a visit, used to drive over to Redmire on his motorcycle and bait up the swims for him before he was due to visit.

They still have letters from him and I am fixing up to go and have a look at them! Fingers crossed, let's hope there is an old cane rod in the corner!
The letters would be good to see,would be interesting if the dates link up to any of his notable catches?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Beryl

Re: Met a chap in the pub whose Uncle baited Redmire up for Richard Walker and...

Post by Beryl »

I have to bait up my own swims. I wonder if these legends had a head start?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Try not to drool on them Phil :Chuckle:

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Somewhere at the back of my mind I've heard this before, perhaps Dick told me. Baiting up with loaves of bread.
Perhaps you could photograph the letters anyway.

Compliments of the season

Mike

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

He's found the letters...and there's more...

"There's also some correspondence with Eddie Price and a bloke called Jock Hilton, ever heard of them?"

Jaw drops to the ground, going round there tomorrow morning...

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Tengisgol wrote:He's found the letters...and there's more...

"There's also some correspondence with Eddie Price and a bloke called Jock Hilton, ever heard of them?"

Jaw drops to the ground, going round there tomorrow morning...
Jack Hilton was a well known Carp Angler,sounds like your in of an interesting time.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wasn't Jock, Jack's Scottish cousin? :Hahaha:
Seriously though that is an incredible find.....super stuff.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Maybe he has got a few RW signed rods hanging around ?! for a pint or maybe two

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Chaps, there is some fascinating information and memorabilia here and I have been privileged to see and read some of it. For the time being I'm not going to go into any detail but we have had a discussion about how we can make the information available in the near future and I will update you all as soon as I can. I am in touch with Grinner and will bring him up to speed.

It will be worth the wait (but no 'holy grail' rods I am afraid, although I did ask!).

Return to “Dick Walker”