Same swim?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: Same swim?

Post by Richard C »

Paul D wrote:Hmmm! Good one Richard, it's certainly not the exact same swim, just look at the point where the line of the river bank bisects his right shoulder.
My best guess is that he is sitting a little upstream in the second pic???? Happy new year btw :Hat: :cheers:

Yep, already deduced his seating position differs Paul but still same swim if you mean what I know. Cheers, have a good one mate :cheers:

Just not quite convinced yet. The house visible below the tree on the horizon almost appears through the mist if you look long enough.

T'is just for fun remember chaps. I'm sure Dick will be along shortly to put us all out of our suspenders. :Cool:
Olly wrote:Definitely not downstream of Ibsley Bridge on the Hampshire Avon!
No thought not Olly. :whistle:

:holmes:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Dave Burr wrote: But it does look like the spot just upstream from the top one and is undoubtably either a banker or near the carp park for a quick snap for the photographer.
A good detective would have deduced that he had only been sitting there for between 10-15 minutes in the snow. :Sarcasm:
Did you say you were a uniformed officer? hmmmmm :Hahaha:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Most of the CID officers I knew couldn't detect their wedding tackle with two hands :Sarcasm: And yes, I had 'detected' the lack of tracks around his position indicating that picture was opportunistic at the commencement of the snow fall. There's also a lack of tackle other than an obviously very cold aluminium bait tin. I reckon the picture was taken for effect rather than capturing a moment during a session.

Elementary dear Cleaver, quite elementary.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Might be wrong about the quick shot and off for a hot toddy. It could just be a 'banker swim' as you suggested and he'd just arrived.
It was that good he spent 25+ years having just 'one last cast' :Hahaha:

Been staring at it too long now, I swear Dick just loose fed a sprinkle of gentles. Golly, this wines good. :cheers:
T. S Eliot

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Olly is right, its not Ibsley its Beachampton I think just below the sally bush as Dick called it. Fished it once in deadfall weather. Fred had made bacon sandwiches, 2" thick like door steps. John Howe and I fished the river. I caught a chub about 3 1/2 lbs and held it up for Dick to see. He shouted from his hut " Well Wilson thats your only fish for the day ". I fished so hard that day using crayfish for bait and never had another take. Dick and Fred never left the hut until they went home. Lovely memory. Sadly the hut got burnt down many years later. Oh to have my time again, so many questions to ask. Many were resolved when I took Des taylor to meet Dick and Fred came for a Piscatorial Supper one night with Pete Stone, Fred Buller and Gerry Berth-Jones. Such great times

Mike

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mike Wilson wrote:Olly is right, its not Ibsley its Beachampton I think just below the sally bush as Dick called it. Fished it once in deadfall weather. Fred had made bacon sandwiches, 2" thick like door steps. John Howe and I fished the river. I caught a chub about 3 1/2 lbs and held it up for Dick to see. He shouted from his hut " Well Wilson thats your only fish for the day ". I fished so hard that day using crayfish for bait and never had another take. Dick and Fred never left the hut until they went home. Lovely memory. Sadly the hut got burnt down many years later. Oh to have my time again, so many questions to ask. Many were resolved when I took Des taylor to meet Dick and Fred came for a Piscatorial Supper one night with Pete Stone, Fred Buller and Gerry Berth-Jones. Such great times

Mike

I truly wish I could have been there myself Mike, you have summed up for me in a single post why I started this forum. :Hat:

One of my favourite threads on the forum http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... per#p12883
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Upper Ouse almost for sure, two spots a few yards apart. One thing is for sure - both are of the same angler!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Not by any means forensic but the tree in the dead centre of the top picture is still there though faint in the second
- same swim, somehow I want it to be especially when no one could prove otherwise :tea:

p.s. that was some thick rod he had back in his early days
niceroach

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Always love that picture of walker in the snow, it's often my screen saver this time of year. The bank looks similar, but I agree, there is a tree missing in the background of the snowy pic. Could be the angle of course.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Yes, my favourite fishing photo by far hence my avatar.

Return to “Dick Walker”