Centenarian Dick Walker

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Centenarian Dick Walker

Post by Stathamender »

Martin James wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 pm Care of the Anglers Mail.

This was the image I suggested for this year's coarse licence but unfortunately we only got halfway there.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

A lovely day yesterday at Redmire with a number of anglers and some wonderful Walker memorabilia, arranged by Chris Ball to celebrate Walker's 100th. The rod and net with which Walker landed Clarissa were reunited in the Willow Pitch.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Skeff wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm A lovely day yesterday at Redmire with a number of anglers and some wonderful Walker memorabilia, arranged by Chris Ball to celebrate Walker's 100th. The rod and net with which Walker landed Clarissa were reunited in the Willow Pitch.
Sounds like a great day Skeff.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

A lovely day at Redmire to mark what would have been Dick Walker's hundredth Birthday.
Photos:

Roger Bowskill from Exeter on the dam with the rod on which Dick landed Clarissa and the net in which she was landed by Pete Thomas.

Chris Ball on the dam with Roger Bowskill and Bob Jones, both of whom landed the "Old 38" before Chris Yates landed the carp as his record and renamed it "The Bishop" .

Chris Ball holding forth in The Stile during his guided tour of the pool (he is a mine of information).

Those gathered - Roger Bowskill, Wayne Cryer, my old pal Pete Rogers (owner of the Walker net and other remarkable memorabilia), Tony Meers, Chris Sandford (owner of the Clarissa rod), Bob Jones, Chris Ball, Bob Rolph and Charles Kirkham (who discovered the Redmire giants were still alive in 1965, after they were thought to be dead after the '63 winter. They initiated the John Nixon period at the pool, pre-Hilton), and some gatecrasher...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like you all had a great time and what a splendid man to remember. But I am mystified as to why everyone keeps on referring to his record carp as Clarissa when it's well known he didn't like the name and had christened the fish Ravioli. For Clarissa was the name chosen by a keeper at London Zoo, and Dick Walker wrote that he didn't like that name. Just a thought.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you for sharing the great pictures Skeff. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Santiago wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm Looks like you all had a great time and what a splendid man to remember. But I am mystified as to why everyone keeps on referring to his record carp as Clarissa when it's well known he didn't like the name and had christened the fish Ravioli. For Clarissa was the name chosen by a keeper at London Zoo, and Dick Walker wrote that he didn't like that name. Just a thought.
Only because that is how the fish is best known to the angling world.... Of course you are correct in that the carp didn't change its name formally from Ravioli to Clarissa but then it probably wasn't that keen on being called Ravioli either... For most of its life it didn't have a name at all. :Hat:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Currently reading one of his books, a true innovator whose advice and ideas remain relevant today.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Skeff great write up and pics, well done everyone.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Lovely pics Skeff, thanks.

As a youngster/teenager who was captivated by the likes of Walker and friends it has shaped my angling life over the years.

Although in some ways sadly, but ultimately happily, it is now in later life that I am able to really fulfil dreams and seek to emulate his footsteps in many ways.

In a current world of plastic idols, a true angler to look up to and to try and emulate.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Dick Walker”