Dick Walker in 2011

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Snape
Bailiff

Dick Walker in 2011

Post by Snape »

Excellent article by forum member Hugo Curgudgeon

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/co ... shing.html
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Dick Walker in 2011

Post by Mark »

Had to print this one out to take it all in. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Churchyard Yew

Post by Churchyard Yew »

Hi,

Richard Walker was not a traditional angler. Traditional angling is a modern phenomenon, it did not exist in the 1950's, a Mk IV and a Mitchell was modern equipment back then and I am sure most anglers from that period, if by the magic of time travel, were presented with a modern carbon rod and quality Japanese reel would regard them with awe and consign the cane to the bean row. Walker used the most up to date tackle of his time, even if he had to make it himself. To ponder on what he would use now is pointless really; why would he use outdated equipment? even for aesthetic reasons I don't believe he would use vintage tackle. He was a great innovator who constantly improved on modern equipment, hence his involvement with Hardy's in developing Carbon Fibre rods.
I know he used Pentax Spotmatic cameras and, certainly in the early days, developed his own film and made prints. I cannot imagine he would not use digital, he was not an anachronistic person. He drove an Audi, today he would drive a newer model not a Model T Ford.

The real question is how Richard would view the Traditional Angling set.

Graphite was discovered in the late 18th century and has no connection to Grafham.

Churchyard Yew

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I agree that if Dick Walker were alive and fishing now he would be using the most up to date and sophisticated tackle and techniques available.
For me traditional angling is not about emulating a person but fishing in a style I enjoy. I simply enjoy using cane and old reels combined with simple methods.
I undoubtedly catch far fewer fish than I would if I used sophisticated tackle and rigs etc. But I like that and if anything I enjoy the challenge.
I think a major part of traditional fishing is being there and the challenge. The actual catching (for me anyway) is fairly minor.

I suspect Walker would see anglers using 1950s tackle and methods as 'barmy'.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Churchyard Yew wrote:Traditional angling is a modern phenomenon, it did not exist in the 1950's
Although I wonder whether there were anglers in the 50s who shunned this modern fancy split cane stuff and much preferred their greenheart rods and wooden centrepins :wink:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:I agree that if Dick Walker were alive and fishing now he would be using the most up to date and sophisticated tackle and techniques available.
For me traditional angling is not about emulating a person but fishing in a style I enjoy. I simply enjoy using cane and old reels combined with simple methods.
I undoubtedly catch far fewer fish than I would if I used sophisticated tackle and rigs etc. But I like that and if anything I enjoy the challenge.
I think a major part of traditional fishing is being there and the challenge. The actual catching (for me anyway) is fairly minor.

Well put Snape, I feel the same way about using cane rods and older reels although I must confess I do combine them with modern methods every now and then. :D
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:I agree that if Dick Walker were alive and fishing now he would be using the most up to date and sophisticated tackle and techniques available.

I agree with everything you said here Snape, fishing for me is being lost in a timeless world. The hustle and bustle of the modern life only comes back to reality when I reach my car at the end of the day.

I'm sure Dick is smiling down on us all, perhaps thinking we are barmy but I like to think it would be a kind of nostalgic barmy.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Churchyard Yew

Post by Churchyard Yew »

I agree Snape. Many of the things I do and appreciate are very far removed from the 21st Century. Traditional Angling is like owning a vintage car, one does not expect the performance of a modern vehicle, it is a gentler and more considered form of motoring.

One thing I occasionally ponder; have anglers changed the feeding habits of fish by the use of sophisticated baits, do Carp for example recognize a high protein bait as being beneficial to their health and well being above their usual natural diet. Have such baits become part of their natural diet and what would happen if they were taken away? Would a traditional angler use a par boiled potato or a modern boilie? Does the traditional angler pose with his fish wearing a T Shirt with "Mothers Pride" printed on it?
Do I go to see Jethro Tull next year on the 40th anniversary tour of "Thick as a Brick" now that Ian just cannot sing anymore? Cup of tea anyone?

Churchyard Yew

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

With you on the tea CY, I've just made one.

As for Jethro Tull (never knew that was his second name), I can't stand Cornish comedians and can never understand what he's saying.

Incidently, I like your initials.............. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:As for Jethro Tull (never knew that was his second name), I can't stand Cornish comedians and can never understand what he's saying.
Please say you are joking SK..... :hide:

Return to “Dick Walker”