Wallis Casting

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Tweed

Wallis Casting

Post by Tweed »

I think I learn things differently from others, I don't know, some things seem easy, others impossibly difficult but, the achievement in overcoming obstacle is satisfying.

I approached Wallis Casting almost indifferently. I enjoy spey casting and surely Wallis casting isn't as tricky? except that yes it seems more so.

Having become bored with fly fishing and the insistant request to pay my subs I black balled myself, which was extreme in it's consequence having waited ten or more years to gain admittance to a most exalted society of gentlefolk, generals, baronesses, lords, which yet lacked pour moi a sense of belonging. Would my piscatorial days end here, or was a further adventure required? Yes of course the world of the coarse gestured its attraction.

Anyway I decided roach would be the thing, actually I'd seen some clonkers in the upper Test, yet fly fishing attempts had yielded nothing. A wallis Avon rod was secured as were two cheap centrepins plus some aerials and the like.

Anyway the far east made pins spun like blazes so I followed the Wallis tubes and became a Wally. Struggling, tangles, frustration but a modicum of achievement from time to time.

Anyway I found this:

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/ ... e-pin.html

as close to idiot proof as I have found. Out into the garden, Chapman 500, 3.5 Aerial and 75g lead, perfection. Later fishing - perfection, tried the float - perfection.

Hope this proves of worth to some fellow brothers.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Wallis Casting

Post by Chris Bettis »

The link you gave us is great, I use this method and it works for me. I suggest that anyone who wants to master the Wally cast tries this. I works!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

As I was holding the fort at home today and could not go fishing I decided to have yet another attempt at perfecting the Wallis cast.I read and re read Chris Lythe's guidance and watched a lot of videos on YouTube.The American ones seemed the most useful as they showed you how to do a modified Wallis cast which did not require you to hold the float or weight in your left hand. I visualised Bendsomecane in casting action and then went out into the field to practice.After an hour of was improving but still created a fair few birds nets!.So it's work in progress.I will try it out on the river tomorrow but I suspect I will have to revert to the Grommit version(also known as the Nottingham cast).Any tips would be welcomed.
Mark Davies

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

There is no tips, its all practice and getting the timing right.
I know that sounds hard but it will come just keep trying Mark. Stick with very short casts to start a rod length out. Only try further out when you have the short casts tangle free consistently.

MA

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The closest I've come to a 'Wallis Cast' is when an angler in the next swim called out "Look out ... there's a wally casting next to me !!!" :whistle:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AshbyCut wrote:The closest I've come to a 'Wallis Cast' is when an angler in the next swim called out "Look out ... there's a wally casting next to me !!!" :whistle:

:Hahaha:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

It really is all about practice, for me having the side of my thumb just brushing the reel rim and holding the rod with the reel at about 45 degrees unlocked it. Personally I've found I get more consistent casts using a wide drum reel. :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

This guy explains it very simply, so simply that even I could follow it. Fredline
https://youtu.be/pj6a-P44oQI
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

I find that my traditional use of a braid type of line which is limp, like the old dacron lines, helps Wallis casting. The throwing out of the left hand and arm should be quite high up, and it is all over very quickly really, so there is little time like that before the hand and 'cocked' thumb guiding the line is brought back to the reel.

Return to “Wallis Casting”