Wallis casting as lockdown skill

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Snape
Bailiff

Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Snape »

Last Saturday I decided to finally start learning to Wallis cast which has been on my list of things to do for over 20 years!
I watched the videos on YouTube and set out to the garden with a MKIV avon, centrepin and 1/3 oz weight. it didn't take too long to get to about 12-14 metres so I was encouraged but increased the weight to 0.5 oz.
I have practised for about 1 hour per day this week and have tried out a number of different styles and today finally started to consistently hit around 18 metres and finally started breaking the 20 metre barrier which was my target.
With the lockdown continuing and 2 months to go until 16 June, I am hoping I can get even more accurate and a greater distance.
The part of the garden where I am practicing is nearly 30 metres long so if I can hit the bush at the end by 16 June, I'll be very happy.
I wish I had done it years ago!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well done Nigel :cheers: :Thumb: :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Very well done! I wish my garden was 30 metres long!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I must admit to watching several short films featuring Wallis Casting over the years, but I have never tried it! I imagine it will be a great feeling when you catch your first fish using your new found skill, well done! :Hat:

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

Snape, :rock:
Last edited by Barbellina on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

:hairpull: Snape, I've been out in the garden for the last 2 days, trying to learn to Wallis cast with considerably less success. I've watched numerous UTube videos but they all seem to be slightly different. I would happily pay someone for a lesson at this point as I may be just setting errors as I try to embed in my muscle memory. It's very frustrating,makes learning the golf swing a breeze
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I've managed to Wallis cast in the garden and thought all was going well with my technique but it all fell apart when trying on the river!
I had one day on the river when it seemed to come together but then the next time I tried I failed miserably. Bendsomecane (Andy) is very proficient and gave me some instruction at Ravenfield but I guess I just need more practice :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Barbellina wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:05 am :hairpull: Snape, I've been out in the garden for the last 2 days, trying to learn to Wallis cast with considerably less success. I've watched numerous UTube videos but they all seem to be slightly different. I would happily pay someone for a lesson at this point as I may be just setting errors as I try to embed in my muscle memory. It's very frustrating,makes learning the golf swing a breeze
I found Martin Porter's video very useful

and this article
https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/articles/c ... llis_cast/
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Snape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm Last Saturday I decided to finally start learning to Wallis cast which has been on my list of things to do for over 20 years!
I watched the videos on YouTube and set out to the garden with a MKIV avon, centrepin and 1/3 oz weight. it didn't take too long to get to about 12-14 metres so I was encouraged but increased the weight to 0.5 oz.
I have practised for about 1 hour per day this week and have tried out a number of different styles and today finally started to consistently hit around 18 metres and finally started breaking the 20 metre barrier which was my target.
With the lockdown continuing and 2 months to go until 16 June, I am hoping I can get even more accurate and a greater distance.
The part of the garden where I am practicing is nearly 30 metres long so if I can hit the bush at the end by 16 June, I'll be very happy.
Hi Snape, I'm wondering what make and Breaking Strain of line you're using, thinking it might make a small difference to the efficiency of the casts. Some lines being springier than others

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am
Snape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm Last Saturday I decided to finally start learning to Wallis cast which has been on my list of things to do for over 20 years!
Hi Snape, I'm wondering what make and Breaking Strain of line you're using, thinking it might make a small difference to the efficiency of the casts. Some lines being springier than others
Maxima 8lb line.

Return to “Wallis Casting”