Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

Post by Woolly Bear »

W . M . Sir ,what in your opinion would be a good centre pin for me to buy in order for me to get better at casting with a pin . Regards Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: Now you have got me excited

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Woolly Bear wrote:Hey I would love to be able to cast better with my pins they are all I use , watched vids on u tube ,but still get tangles . My pins are not that free running but I love them I know its me . I will not give up though.Regards ,Woolly Bear ,Deepestish Cornwall . :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: :Hat:
Hi Wooley Bear, :Hat:
I wouldn't worry too much about the tangles, they "come with the territory", especially if it's windy!
I was taught by the same Chap as "Wallis Master", my "Old Pal" Mr Elliot and even he gets them, he would be the first to admit it .....
............................."some days it happens, some days it don't"!

Providing your pins are not damaged, whether they be "true pins" or bearings, the secret is cleanliness and suitable lubrication. Some "pins" just aren't ever going to run freely.

I did the same before I met Mr. Elliot, search the web, watched all the videos etc. It just wouldn't happen as well as I was hoping it would.
In my opinion, you really can't better standing alongside an accomplished caster/tutor, watching all parts of the movement and then being instructed. Within twenty minutes I was tripling my distance without even trying too hard!

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

M.D ,hey thanks for your kind words of encouragement, mine are true pins in that they run on a pin with no bearings ,Grice and Youngs mainly , mine are kept very clean with just a drop of oil on the pin etc , are Speedias any good as got my eye on one on E bay . Every one I speak to rates them but you might know something they don't , I would love to see someone who could cast properly that's the way to learn I think .kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Hat:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Oops that's my finger . :Wink: sent it twice :Thumb: Woolly Bear :Confused:

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Woolly Bear wrote:M.D ,hey thanks for your kind words of encouragement, mine are true pins in that they run on a pin with no bearings ,Grice and Youngs mainly , mine are kept very clean with just a drop of oil on the pin etc , are Speedias any good as got my eye on one on E bay . Every one I speak to rates them but you might know something they don't , I would love to see someone who could cast properly that's the way to learn I think .kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Hat:
Hi again Wooly Bear, :Hat:
.... no they are all perfectly correct, the Speedia is a superb choice providing that you get a decent one in the first instance. Sewing machine oil is ideal for lubrication and also very cheap!

Good luck with your search. :Thumb:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

M. D , thank you very much Sir , much appreciated . Regards Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Woolly Bear wrote:W . M . Sir ,what in your opinion would be a good centre pin for me to buy in order for me to get better at casting with a pin . Regards Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: Now you have got me excited
Woolly whats you budget?

A great (and very inexpensive reel) is the wide drum fred crouch replica "The True Pin Trotter"

You can pick one up for around 100-150 quid..

Its a front spoked reel with a solid back which means its less prone to get dirty etc..

It looks nice too!

Negatives

They don't tend to have a very very high quality finish. The aluminium ones have like a varnish esque coating...I removed this and polished it up...it looks great now.

Some say the ratchet handle is in a awkward position (though it doesnt bother me)

One thing to say is that EVERY reel has its negatives....even the Lythes, Mills etc that said you get what you pay for (mostly) and the True pin trotter is a great real at bargain prices.

A honest review...

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
Woolly Bear wrote:M.D ,hey thanks for your kind words of encouragement, mine are true pins in that they run on a pin with no bearings ,Grice and Youngs mainly , mine are kept very clean with just a drop of oil on the pin etc , are Speedias any good as got my eye on one on E bay . Every one I speak to rates them but you might know something they don't , I would love to see someone who could cast properly that's the way to learn I think .kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Hat:
Hi again Wooly Bear, :Hat:
.... no they are all perfectly correct, the Speedia is a superb choice providing that you get a decent one in the first instance. Sewing machine oil is ideal for lubrication and also very cheap!

Good luck with your search. :Thumb:
I wise man said to me, If you can use a speedia....you can use any reel. Great reel, quite cheap. Very solid construction.

sewing oil is great! But a cheaper and more readily available oil is 4 in 1 is low viscosity lends itself for use on the pin unlike 3 in 1 which is a little too viscose.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

TIP OF THE DAY - Reel care

Pin care is very important. On the bank maggot dust, dirt, water etc do not help your cause.

Therefore, when i go fishing I always carry the following;-

1 A few sheets of kitchen roll
2 A small can of silicone spray for lubricating line (don't buy this from you fishing shop its too expensive...B&Q, glazing outlets etc sell it very cheaply)
3 A small tube of grease for moving parts NOT THE BEARING. I use a Du Pont Krytox Grease. This is great...It maintains the moving parts life repels water
4 I have converted an old Olbus oil bottle into a oil dispenser. This works brilliantly.
5 A small screwdriver for adjusting the reels "float"

Hope this helps..

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Hey everybody,thank you so much for all your fantastic advice , it is greatly appreciated Sirs .Kindest regards .Woolly bear . :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb: :Hat:

Return to “Wallis Casting”