Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Wallis Master

Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

Post by Wallis Master »

Hi everyone, my name is Alistair Spencer. I am a very keen angler and have cut my teeth using a pin. I was taught by a local legend, who, in his self is a angling great. I'm very much still learning my trade (fishing) but I am reasonable adept at using a pin and wallis casting.

I have conducted various demonstrations and tuition sessions at many shows etc for a very well know reel manufacturer. I have managed to teach people to wallis cast is only 20 minutes!

I am based in Hampshire but travel regularly around the country for fishing.

I am here to help, should anyone need any kind of tips, help or have any questions then please just ask.

From types of pin, oil, line, float fishing and ledgering.. etc...just ask!

If anyone wishes to have a little lesson or wants a day on the Itchen then again, just ask.

I have a few information sheets that show some basic rigs and tips etc suitable for beginners/intermediate pin users.

MY REASONS FOR THESE SERVICES ARE PURLY INNOCENT. Im am not here to make money (a free days fishing perhaps). My reasons for wanting to help you guys are;-
1 Centre Pins are best!
2 Its a beautifully tactile, skilful, and such "pure' way to fish. I want to open people eyes to how amazing it is!
3 I actually find it easier to fish with a pin, I know for a fact that there are some swims with trees bushes etc that are IMPOSSIBLE to fish with a fixed spool...not with a 'pin
4 People say you cant cast the same distances with a 'pin...maybe not... but I can cast over to the other side of the Avon and Stour at wide parts...

Basically learn the art of the WALLIS CAST and it will not only enhance your ability to catch fish, but it will enrich the process of fishing.

Spence

Wallis Master

Re: Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

Post by Wallis Master »

Fat Fish Floats wrote:Hi, I have to say...I have a JW Youngs Purist ll. I cant get on with it really, nothing but tangles and not picking up line. Give me a fixed spool any day. I am not a convert....Sorry :Scared:
It will be going up for sale soon!
Such a shame mate....In my opinion you need a lesson or two to help you out. Don't give up on it....I nearly did but so glad i didn't!

There are a few basic things you can do to prevent such issues....I assure you!

Spence

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Hi Spence

There are many of us on here that would love to learn the Wallis cast. I can get about 15 to 20 yards but any further than that and I end up in a bit of a pickle. I love fishing with a centre pin reel my favourite is my 1938 Allcock Aerial but I mainly use the loop cast because of my lack of confidence with the Wallis cast. I may take you up on your kind offer of a little lesson on the Itchen in the summer months. Thank you.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Mark wrote:Hi Spence

There are many of us on here that would love to learn the Wallis cast. I can get about 15 to 20 yards but any further than that and I end up in a bit of a pickle. I love fishing with a centre pin reel my favourite is my 1938 Allcock Aerial but I mainly use the loop cast because of my lack of confidence with the Wallis cast. I may take you up on your kind offer of a little lesson on the Itchen in the summer months. Thank you.
The winter is the time to fish the Itchen.... I will gladly help!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Wallis Master wrote:
Mark wrote:Hi Spence

The winter is the time to fish the Itchen.... I will gladly help!
I'm more concerned about improving my Wallis cast rather than the fishing at the moment. :Chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

I hope to get a few videos on youtube soon! Hopefully these may help!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Wallis Master wrote:I hope to get a few videos on youtube soon! Hopefully these may help!
That would be great Spence. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

A very kind offer Sir! Perhaps a TTF day out in Hampshire would be worth thinking about?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from your knowledge.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

LuckyLuca wrote:A very kind offer Sir! Perhaps a TTF day out in Hampshire would be worth thinking about?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from your knowledge.
Sounds like a plan!

I'm game...not sure about how to organise such things? Im open to ideas!

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Mick B wrote:I agree that the Wallis cast may seem difficult at first.

I was amazed to watch the Itchen 'pin Masters at work, trotting the far bank swims, casting their float to with inches of a bed of rushes with the hook landing downstream of the float, all in a straight line!
These gentlemen are true casting masters and they gave me the advice I certainly needed to master the cast myself.
I must add that I do not know the author of this thread, but maybe by sight.

The stretch of the Itchen to which I refer is the totally free fishing stretch from the Swan pub (Mansbridge) downstream to the sea.
If anyone is in this area, preferably a weekday afternoon, just walk along the riverside footpath, watch and admire.

Obviously there are other places where this cast is used regularly, but this is where I know best.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Thats my local hangout near the Swan in my opinion one of the BEST free stretches of river in the country..come to think of it it just one of the best period!

Return to “Wallis Casting”