Help with the Wallis cast

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
St.John
Tench

Re: Help with the Wallis cast

Post by St.John »

It's all true though! Glory or bust I say!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

It's high on my list of things to learn this year for sure! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Still trying myself , hopefully will achieve it eventually . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Woolly Bear wrote:Still trying myself , hopefully will achieve it eventually . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
you'll have a eureka moment. honest. i'd say start off with 8lb (cheap) line and a half/quarter oz weight.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

St.John wrote:
Woolly Bear wrote:Still trying myself , hopefully will achieve it eventually . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
you'll have a eureka moment. honest. i'd say start off with 8lb (cheap) line and a half/quarter oz weight.

If you use 8 lb line you will impede yourself. 8lb line is stiffer and will bed in more. I'd recommend using 4lb diawa sensor or similar when starting (its cheap and is pretty good too)

The trick is to start sort and build up...get rid of the word cast a replace it slingshot...The reason i say this is you use the "pull" top sling shot the rig out.

Someone who is proficient at wallis casting doesn't even need to move the rod!

I'd use a little 1/2 oz arsley bomb or similar to start with ...or if your on a river just set up a simple little rig. Use an olivette or bulk shot to further aid the cast

I'd really like to do a bit of tuition if anyone fancies it? Any ideas how best to do it... Suggestions welcome?

ALL FOR FREE!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

not at all. 8lb line is fine. I have little trouble with bedding in really and you won't go a snapping off when you screw up as well as birdsnests are a damn sight easier to undo with larger lines. When you start off with the wally cast the important thing is confidence, and having 8lb line gives that. Line weight Doesn't really affect distance either I've found. There is so much twaddle talked about this cast really. The most valuable thing people can do is see someone proficient cast.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

St.John wrote:not at all. 8lb line is fine. I have little trouble with bedding in really and you won't go a snapping off when you screw up as well as birdsnests are a damn sight easier to undo with larger lines. When you start off with the wally cast the important thing is confidence, and having 8lb line gives that. Line weight Doesn't really affect distance either I've found. There is so much twaddle talked about this cast really. The most valuable thing people can do is see someone proficient cast.
hmmm... dont really agree with some of what you say but confidence is important!

May I ask what sort of distance you can cast?

The other thing is that if your "snapping off" using 4lb line even when you get a angle I'd suggest either your using bad line or doing something wrong!

not to mention the lack of refinement using 8lb line

All people do things differently... a suggestion is just that...not twaddle!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I can usually wally cast far enough, with luck and a fair wind! I use 8lb line on my pins on my bottom rods-this is not due to a lack of refinement but due to giving me half a chance of landing barbel and carp.

Edited to remove a post that could have been construed as bragging/arrogant. Sorry. This is not the place for who done what etc and I appologize if I came across as more of a tosser than I usually do!
Last edited by St.John on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Oh, certainly wasn't suggesting you were talking twaddle!! Sorry if you thought I was, I was referring to a lot of stuff I have heard over the years. There's some mystique that seems to surround the bloody cast -that is what I mean by 'twaddle'!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Look on You Tube for 'walliswizard'. It's my mate Glenn and he's done a couple of very nice, very simple videos of how to Wallis cast. The best advice I can give anybody is think of the Chinese exercise of 'tai chi'. The one where you see rows of people in the park gently waving their arms while twisting around? Start to learn your Wallis cast technique slowly and deliberately and gradually build it up from that. Practice, practice, practice.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Wallis Casting”