Need to learn this...

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Need to learn this...

Post by Vole »

I started off with a Rapidex (after a few hideous reels that don't deserve the name of "centre-pin"), so removing the guards of Trudexes and such was a careful choice for me.
This one occasion, I was using an Avon Royal Supreme, which has quite a small guard, on a fast, shallow stretch of river, and the fish were drifting ever further across (dud feeding, I know!), so I gradually got my eye in as the day wore on, and ended up winding the rod up more than I ever had before, nor have since. Didn't catch much, but enjoyed the casting! I must have, it was about thirty years ago...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

For ledgering i use a sort of Wallace cross fly pull to get a bit more distance, forty yards is possible two out of five times and getting better, of the other three, one usualy ends up with a sudden braking of the 'pin to stop lead hitting me or something else it shouldn't, the other two come up shorter than i want, so it's a good method if you're searching for bites in a large area. For feeder fishing to a baited area i tend to put on the trusty mitchell after a few casts go wrong, or there is anyone theat might be looking :chuckle: generaly i try to cast like that with plenty of open water in front of me.....and to each side :wink:

The wizard and 3 3/4' aerial are set for a bit of trotting with toppers over the christmas week and i have just been contacted by Chris Lythe and had a nice chat about reels, health, fishing etc and am very much looking forward to the Avon floats he is sending me. The reels are going to take a bit longer but by the time they are ready i hope to be a bit more practiced as I hope to be getting a lesson on how to use them from the man himself :thumb:
Last edited by Greentura on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I remember seeing Yatesey doing a Wallis casting 'exhibition' at a country fair years ago. He did an overhead Wallace cast or two. I watched it, as before the event he told me he was going to do an 'overhead' and I didn't believe him. After witnessing it, next time I went fishing I tried myself. And succeeded! I have never tried again, deciding to stop while I was ahead. The potential for disasters just seemed too great... A few weeks ago I reminded him of it, thinking I might have imagined the 'exhibition'. It turned out that I wasn't dreaming (and said he did it for a bet!).

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Greentura wrote: The wizard and 3 3/4' aerial are set for a bit of trotting with toppers over the christmas week and i have just been contacted by Chris Lythe and had a nice chat about reels, health, fishing etc and am very much looking forward to the Avon floats he is sending me. The reels are going to take a bit longer but by the time they are ready i hope to be a bit more practiced as I hope to be getting a lesson on how to use them from the man himself :thumb:
How is Chris? Must give him a call as it's been about 12 months since we last spoke. I take it you have a reel or two being built for you? Which ones have you ordered? I have a 'nearly' matching pair of 1915 pattern Aerials. The only difference in them is that the engraving is picked out in red on the one and green on the other. Beautiful reels and I fully expect to hand them down through the family.

Good old Chris can talk when he starts :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

GarryProcter wrote:I remember seeing Yatesey doing a Wallis casting 'exhibition' at a country fair years ago. He did an overhead Wallace cast or two. I watched it, as before the event he told me he was going to do an 'overhead' and I didn't believe him.
I will admit that when I first heard about 'supposedly' being able to Wallis cast overhead I was very sceptical. I think it was Alan Tomkins who mentioned it to me. So of course I had to go out and give it a go. I do not claim great success but success it was, first time. I think I just got the timing spot on. I generally perform the Wallis with a sideways and manage ok probably 4 times out of every 5. Though, I readily admit that 3 out of those 4 successful casts are often a touch short. I tend to be very hesitant in putting more 'power' into the cast. It's very much a case of as the day goes on I get more and more confident and the casts tend to get further and further out. Then I get too confident and end up with an almighty tangle :oops:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Wallis Casting”