Stret pegging

This forum is for discussing Stret Pegging.
MGs
Pike

Stret pegging

Post by MGs »

I was reminiscing yesterday about a stretch of river I used to fish as a child and adolescent. In those days, even during the summer, before abstraction, the flow was pretty good. A method which used to catch plenty of roach, dace and smaller chub was stret pegging. I haven't used the method for years (it is all still water where I live). Is this still an frequently used and efficient strategy?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davyr

Re: Stret pegging

Post by Davyr »

Martin Bowler certainly used this method in an episode of "Catching the Impossible". Way back in the '60s, Peter Drennan made flat-bodied floats specifically for stret-pegging, which I suppose were the forerunners of the "lollipop floats" popular with modern pole anglers.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Stret pegging described and shown halfway down this page http://www.discoverfishing.co.uk/guides ... barbel.htm
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I use the method occasionally if conditions are suitable however I don't remember the last time I saw anyone else 'pegging'.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It is a technique I intent to use more this summer on the Warks Avon
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Another rarely used technique I’ve enjoy using on still waters since I first read about it in FJT’s Angling in earnest in the late 50’s is ‘the lift method’.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Tidal Thames anglers used to use the method, though I don't recall hearing them call it "stret-pegging" - the term may have been a bit too Mary Webb-ish for them; or "Mummerset", if you prefer.
They'd use a long rod ("Ring-up pole" ring any bells?), a smallish float, and overshot according to what the tide/current demanded. A three-BB porcupine quill carrying three swan-shot was not unknown, and a fourth swan-shot might be put on the line above the float, to spring the system by putting an angle in the line, so that a biting fish didn't feel the rod-top's full resistance until it was too late. Well, that was the theory...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

As you can see from my initial post. It is my belief that you need a reasonable flow to get this working well. Otherwise the movement of the bait is lost and you end up laying on.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

in my opinion it’s best done with a long rod as the float should be in line with the tip. I prefer a 15’ rod and size the float to the strength of current generally using a dome topped float. Shouldered floats should be avoided as they tend to catch the current and become unstable.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Found it! In the font of many good things: http://www.fishingmuseum.org.uk/champio ... isher.html

I wonder what was in it for the chap who put up the prize money? Side bets? Newspaper sales?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Stret Pegging”