Feeding approach when long trotting

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Feeding approach when long trotting

Post by Santiago »

Firemantim, maybe that explains why my down stream barbel rod picks up about 9 times more barbel than my upstream rod, even when I catapult pellets just to the upstream rod!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Firemantim

Post by Firemantim »

Bigfish wrote:Firemantim, maybe that explains why my down stream barbel rod picks up about 9 times more barbel than my upstream rod, even when I catapult pellets just to the upstream rod!!!
I would say thats higly likely! I leave the downstream one out till I get a fish - we call it a 'snide', as its cast out and forgotten about until the baitrunner/ratchet on the pin starts whirring! :thumb:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bigfish wrote:Firemantim, maybe that explains why my down stream barbel rod picks up about 9 times more barbel than my upstream rod, even when I catapult pellets just to the upstream rod!!!
I know a barbel angler who feeds a spot and casts out a dummy rod upstream then moves downstream and casts out a bait without feeding. He reckons the smaller fish steam up to the baited area but the bigger fish hold off downstream picking up the food being washed downstream and this often includes the bait. Never tried it myself....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Wouldn't the same effect be achieved without the "dummy rod" (presumably meaning one without a bait or hook attached)? Or are the barbel he fishes for that educated that they avoid the area in which a lead has splashed down? I can quite believe it, having failed for the last 4 seasons to catch a single barbel on the Dove!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

davyr wrote:Wouldn't the same effect be achieved without the "dummy rod" (presumably meaning one without a bait or hook attached)? Or are the barbel he fishes for that educated that they avoid the area in which a lead has splashed down? I can quite believe it, having failed for the last 4 seasons to catch a single barbel on the Dove!
I also wondered that but I think he does it just in case it makes a difference.
He fishes the Wye so they shouldn't be overly wised up.
I have heard the same thing for carp fishing with a load of bait and a dummy in the middle with a huge fluoro pop up with no hook which says "here's the hook bait!", then fish a small bait on its own away from the area. Not my style of angling....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Firemantim

Post by Firemantim »

Fishing a single hookbait downstream from the the main feeding area defiantely works. There is a high bank on the middle severn where I can dropper in a pint or two of hemp - if you look, you can see the larger fish hanging back for the bait washed downstream and not entering the feeding zone with all the smaller fish. Very interesting! :cool:

Return to “Long Trotting”