centrepins for margin fishing?

This forum is for discussing Margin Fishing.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: centrepins for margin fishing?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

It much more direct so the battle is intensified, but beware the dreaded "Knuckle Wrap"
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Slowing or stopping a large fish on a centrepin by applying pressure with the hand is a very pure form of fishing, direct contact...but as SK says watch the handle wrap or palm burn!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Resin rims heat up faster than metal ones, and knurled ones - OW!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I recently accepted an invitation to fish an exclusive lake, which holds big carp and tench. Not something I'd normally do being the closed season. I took along normal carp fishing gear for margin fishing...MK1V cane (J B Walker) and a J W Youngs rapidex pin loaded with 10lb line. Not a touch on bottom bait during the morning and during the afternoon I decided to try floating crust with a bubble float and had a nice result....14lb common, 20lb mirror and a 27.04lb mirror. All of the fish fought very well all being hooked in the margins. Peronally I don't think you can beat a pin for this type of close in fishing, I use various pins for piking and barbel too, they are a real pleasure to use and give you direct contact with the fish you are playing, you can use lighter lines than with a fixed spool affair and as your thumb is the brake cum clutch and therefore there is less chance of a cock up whilst trying to adjust a clutch. Give it a go, you'll be converted upon your first capture.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The first run from a fish hooked close to the bank in very shallow water is an exciting experience with the pin sizzling as the line streams out. Great fun. Rod, line, hook and centre pin – very pure fishing.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:The first run from a fish hooked close to the bank in very shallow water is an exciting experience with the pin sizzling as the line streams out. Great fun. Rod, line, hook and centre pin – very pure fishing.
Just reading that increased my heart rate and made my palms sweaty! :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Most definitely! It’s probably the purest form of fishing. Provided the bank is clear of obstacles I usually lay the rod on its side with the reel handles uppermost and just watch the line.

As others have said watch out for thumb burn. I use a Leeds Reel and its knurled edge can be a bit nasty as a double carp takes off. .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

There's no better sound than my Aerial screaming at me from a carp speeding off from the margins.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

For those who need to cast out beyond the margins without the skill of Mr Wallis, try BB's trick, simple and it works...lay out your coat on the ground, pull off a few big coils of line onto the aforementioned garment and cast away.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Tadpole wrote:For those who need to cast out beyond the margins without the skill of Mr Wallis, try BB's trick, simple and it works...lay out your coat on the ground, pull off a few big coils of line onto the aforementioned garment and cast away.
Or you could use brown paper like Mr Crabtree :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Margin Fishing”