The Mystery of the Bishop photos

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Blunderer
Bleak

The Mystery of the Bishop photos

Post by Blunderer »

We over on the Chris Yates Facebook page have been unable to solve a mystery for one of our members. I wonder if anyone here can possibly help.

The lady in question has a whole set of photos taken on the day The Bishop broke the record, including the now iconic shots with the punt in the background. She has some rather interesting other angles of the fish too, some of which may never have been seen before.

We've managed to draw up a shortlist of suspects, which is Barry Mills, John Carver, Tom Mintram, Doris Mintram and a mystery man called "Dave". We've identified the camera and film used. But nobody is able to say who actually took the photos. It means a lot to this lady so I am hoping somebody can help solve the mystery which we can't.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: The Mystery of the Bishop photos

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Dave Short?

He was there. I sometimes see him at our B.C.S.G. get together's.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

J.C. is a member here. Surely he'll know.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I spoke for over an hour last night to Dave Short who took the pictures that appeared in the magazine at the time and have corresponded with Jane privately to give her the information she wanted.
I will try and speak to John Carver tomorrow evening just to confirm a couple of things. He is fishing at present.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Thanks Shaun. It looks like the mystery is solved at last!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Somehow I missed it on the Chris Yates facebook page when the questions were first asked, but thanks to the T.F.F. the questions look like they are answered.

Dave Short is another of the unsung heroes who wouldn't ever want singing about. He has just got on with his angling rubbing shoulders with all the true greats and still is. He is off fishing to-day until Friday as he does most weeks. One of the Redmire anglers who never made a song and dance about it, but just got on with doing it. I always look forward to our chats but plenty of time has to be put aside as he loves to tell a story to those he really thinks are interested. He doesn't have a lot of time for our modern anglers.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I have now spoken to John Carver too and think the mystery of who took the 'unseen' pictures Jane has of Chris Yates's record is now clear.

The following people were there.

John Carver
Dave Short
Barry Mills
Tom Mintram
Doris Mintram
and of course Chris.

The first three were the only ones taking pictures.
John shot both prints and slides.
Dave shot prints on his Minolta
Barry shot pictures with Chris's ancient camera as well as his own.

Jane (daughter of the late John Abbott) is a photographer and simply wanted to know who had taken the pictures she now has, so as to be able to pass an accurate story on to her young nephew's when they are older.

It turns out that Barry passed some of his pictures onto Jim Hindle, Jim Hindle was big friends with John Abbott, so it looks like they were Barry's shots.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have just happened upon this thread and it hit me like a hammer to the head. 20yrs ago when I lived in Bridgwater Somerset, we had a electrician at work who was a very keen carp angler, although I don't think he was a traditional angler. One night shift we were talking and he happened to mention he was at redmire when Chris yates caught his 51.8lb record breaker.
Neegless to say I took this fishing tale with a pinch of salt, he told me a few other things about the occasion and it was never mentioned again. That electricians name was Barry Mills. A couple of queries, is Barry still with us, and if he is, is he on here?
I'm in a mild state of shock.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Barry does not come on here or any other forum. These days most of his fishing is done in France. Strangely enough I have just returned from a Redmire trip with Barry, at 79 years young he is still as keen as ever, he still lives just outside Bridgewater.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

JPC wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:21 pm Barry does not come on here or any other forum. These days most of his fishing is done in France. Strangely enough I have just returned from a Redmire trip with Barry, at 79 years young he is still as keen as ever, he still lives just outside Bridgewater.
Thanks for that JPC, much appreciated, 79yrs old, I didn't think he was that far in front of me. I remember one night shift him showing me a photo of him stood on top of a stepladder with rod held high about a hundred yards out in the water, that was in France, I think it was lake orient but am not 100%. I also remember Barry and his young electricians mate (can't remember his name, but it may have been Steve) spending more than one night shift making lead weights for the long distance carping he did. I also remember Barry taking his work mate on a trip to France for some serious carp fishing, I'm not sure if that was the trip where Barry caught a monster carp, I can still remember it's weight, 49lb 12oz, secretly I think Barry was gutted that it had not eaten another few boilies.
Please remember me to Barry, he may not remember me (Paul Cheeseman) but I will never forget him, a real character he was.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Chris Yates”