Challenger

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Challenger

Post by Harry H »

Just been going through the to do pile and found this challenger. It looks to be in original condition, it has a Challenger transfer but no trademark just a hand written Dawson's of Bromley. Would this be correct? Perhaps pre trademark?It has a spigot ferrule which are marked with the figure 10 also the butt cap is marked with the figure 2 so I'm thinking its quite an early rod.
Your thoughts gentleman please :Hat: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Challenger

Post by OldTackle »

I don't think the handwriting original in that way. The 'Challenger' writing is, of course, but when you put such a sticker, why handwriting on top? Mine has the lighthouse and on top another sticker similar to the bottom one saying 'Dawson's of Bromley' with transparent background.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

May have been re-whipped & original transfer lost? Is it a 9ft6 or a 10fter?

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm May have been re-whipped & original transfer lost? Is it a 9ft6 or a 10fter?
9ft 2" with lined rings throughout
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

OldTackle wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm I don't think the handwriting original in that way. The 'Challenger' writing is, of course, but when you put such a sticker, why handwriting on top? Mine has the lighthouse and on top another sticker similar to the bottom one saying 'Dawson's of Bromley' with transparent background.
I think you're correct about the writing I just wasn't sure about there being enough room for trademark lighthouse but then if its been rewhipped the whippings could be put anywhere.
Anthony Shepherdson

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Have a look at the rod transfer in this link Harry H...
https://picclick.co.uk/Dawsons-of-Broml ... id=1&pid=1

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Reedling wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 pm Have a look at the rod transfer in this link Harry H...
https://picclick.co.uk/Dawsons-of-Broml ... id=1&pid=1
Aaaah...simply love this to happen! :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Foss Fisher
Minnow

Post by Foss Fisher »

I have handled x2 Challenger rods with the scrawly writing on , they were both 9ft rods with screw winch fitting on the handle and lined rings throughout , very heavy duty rods I think designed for pike fishing or maybe Salmon spinning ?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Peter Dawson's transfers are notoriously fragile and with just a thin coat of varnish on them it's not surprising that so many of his rods have incomplete, or entirely missing, transfers, I suppose?

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”