My Sabina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

My Sabina

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

A couple of years back J.T. gave me a lovely little rod (thanks again J.T.) whilst at Bury Hill fishing for crucians. The rod was a Dawson's of Bromley 'Sabina'. It felt a lovely rod and I was eternally grateful, but couldn't help thinking that such a lovely rod, and indeed gift, deserved a little tidy up. I used the rod once before the end of that season on the Kennet and caught a chub.

Soon after I fished the Itchen and Paul Cook was amongst us. I had the rod in my boot and asked Paul if he'd kindly give it a once over for me, when he could fit it in of course, such a skilled man is sure to be insanely busy. Paul kindly accepted and took the rod home with him.

Today I am one very happy chap. The rod has arrived back to me and is now my favourite rod. Its like a new rod, it now smiles and I cannot wait to get out and target those crucians using my new wand.

Very many thanks Paul, you have excelled yourself sir!!!!

(I'm sorry, the photos really don't do the rod justice, I'm yet to master the art of photographing rods)
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

WindJammer

Re: My Sabina

Post by WindJammer »

Lovely work there Stu.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Stu.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Excellent. Lovely rod. I almost had one myself last year but the thing never arrived. :Cursing:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I hope you enjoy it Stu. I have to say that I didn't much like the action of mine but I know that many rate them, perhaps I had a duff one. The finish on yours is truly excellent and will look great next to a crucian.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Looks fantastic Stu, glad you still have that rod I knew it was going to a good home. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Splendid I used my Sabrina yesterday for the tench and is a wonderful rod. Was there a difference between the Sabrina and the Sabina other than the r :Confused: I would like mine stripped and restored
Any offers?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This did come up a few years ago. There was one Sabina going around that had a whole cane butt and middle and we thought that was the difference, but then a load more turned up that were all three sections built cane just like a Sabrina.

One suggestion was that the transfer manufacturer made an error, but would Peter Dawson have accepted them?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Very nice indeed. In my opinion, Dawson's rods are very good quality and under rated.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Looks great!
I have it's 'brother', which JT kindly gave to me around the same time.
It's had a lick of varnish but I just can't sort out a tight ferrel on it. Think I'll have to go down a similar route and pass it to an expert to give it the attention it deserves

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”