Dawsons of Bromley The Challenger 9ft. pike rod

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Dawsons of Bromley The Challenger 9ft. pike rod

Post by OldTackle »

Gentlemen,

does anyone know if Dawsons gave their Challenger rod an impregnated blank?

Regards
Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Dawsons of Bromley The Challenger 9ft. pike rod

Post by Nobby »

I'm fairly sure only Sharpes of Aberdeen impregnated their blanks, possibly even holding a patent on it. Only when they ceased making rods and sold the business were others able to use the process....the new 'owners' of the Sharpes name ( S&J Tackle) and Chapmans of Ware too I believe.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Thank you for that information, Nobby Sir.

I just thought because I never had seen such a dark cane before. A lot of work to do until I can fish it. Hopefully before the pike season starts over here which is May 1st.

Chris

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I have 3 Dawsons of Bromley, a Challenger, a Burley and a Sabina. All of them have exceptionally dark cane indeed. Also I have the impression that the cane is of very good quality, much superior to other vintage rods I have with the exception of Hardy rods that I feel are even better. No idea if they had a special treatment or if it is the type or origin of the cane.
Bobby

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Good question Bobby, but I have the same impression from the cane. Seems to be very good. The total condition of my challenger is to run away but I kept it just because of the appear of the cane. Well, and the handle is in good condition. I have the screwed reel seat. At least it is almost dead straight (plus minus) and the lined rings are okay. For sure I payed too much for it but it will become a very good pike rod when rewhipped and revarnished.

Chris

John-A
Stickleback

Post by John-A »

I called into a sort of indoor 'boot fair' in Bedfordshire yesterday and was incredibly pleased to find one of these rods in almost first class condition albeit without original bag, but given what little I paid for it, that was nothing to worry about. It was the only fishing uitem on the stall and the seller, a non-angler, knew nothing of its history as he was selling for a friend.

This rod is a lovely dark cane too, cork handled with screw reel seat and the lighthouse logo and gold & black 'Challenger' name badge in perfect order. I wish I could work out what I'm doing wrong when I try to post photos on here, I used to have no problem, but my last 3 attempts have failed. Anyway, I can't wait to get out and try this now that the rivers & drains around here are fining down.

On another non-angler's stall I found a J W Youngs 'Rapidex' centrepin in good order, so I went home a very happy chap.

Ambrosia
Stickleback

Post by Ambrosia »

...oft stated as being a pike rod, any they certainly are rather stout, however this reproduction of a Dawsons advert would appear to indicate that Dawsons were marketing it as a carp rod. I wonder was it originally a pike-rod, subsequently re-marketed? (advert courtesy if Kevin Clifford's "A History of Carp Angling")

....correction! can't upload image from phone!! File too big?!? 🤔

Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

Advert says "IT'S HERE! The moderately priced 9ft Carp Rod. ...bla bla... The "Challenger" by Dawsons of Bromley.
They waited for me, the whole river
Listened to me, and, blind,
Invisibly watched me. And held me deeper
With its blind, invisible hands.
“We’ve got him,” it whispered, “We’ve got him.”

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”