Sabina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Sabina

Post by Ljm183 »

Here,s a photo of my sabina as seen in another post

The varnish was looking a bit tired and the tip ring needed to be changed for an original one , the colour of the whipping was not to my liking either, so a change of whipping colour and a new tip ring and new varnish

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Sabina

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Stunning, really liking that!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes that does look nice. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Could somebody tell me what the Sabina would have been designed for please? I have one myself (another in the pile of rods that need refurbishment) that I have had a few years.

Cheers.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

kevanf1 wrote:Could somebody tell me what the Sabina would have been designed for please? I have one myself (another in the pile of rods that need refurbishment) that I have had a few years.

Cheers.
Fishing :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Loop Erimder wrote:
kevanf1 wrote:Could somebody tell me what the Sabina would have been designed for please? I have one myself (another in the pile of rods that need refurbishment) that I have had a few years.

Cheers.
Fishing :chuckle:
Ah you are a bit of a wag sir :hahaha: So it's not for growing beans up as some philistines have claimed......
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Thanks to Loop, once again, for his concise response :chuckle:

I think the Sabinas meant as a 'mid-range' rod, suitable for most medium to large river fish such as chub and barbel as well as small carp.

I have one that I've recently sorted the ferrules out, and needs re-varnishing next.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There seems to have been a couple of versions of Sabinas over the years, there's even some SabRinas about and no-one seems to know whether they are a spelling error or what!

I think I've also seen some whole cane versions too.

Mr. Dawson is still around and a book about him was promised last year, perhaps we'll find out more in time?
I did learn from the prospective author that he was an apprentice to Modern Arms nearby. Must have gone down a bomb when he left and set-up asround the corner!

He still lives in Bromley, by the way.

As the to the rod's intended uses....I'd say an all-round bottom rod. Capable of float-work and light to medium legering, a bit heavy for roach and the like, so not really a match rod as such, unless the whole cane versions I'm thinking off were meant for match-work?

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I had a 10ft 6in Sabrina. It was quite a powerful rod and was comparable to my Chapmans 500. Slightly softer in the tip and slightly stiffer in the butt. I sold it because I found the handle a bit short and I already had the 500. Quite a nice rod for chub fishing and capable of handling a barbel. the guy I sold it to uses it for tench and small carp and is very happy with it.

Not a rod for holding all day when trotting, but nice for using in the rests for stillwater float fishing or river ledgering.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I like the sound of this :) My favourite fishing is for perch but that is closely followed by tench and barbel with carp bringing up the rear. This is not to say I do not love a day of scratching for tiny roach. I must sort out refurbishing my Sabina. Oh, it was given to me 100% free by the way ;)

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”