Sabina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Sabina

Post by Ljm183 »

Found on Wiki

" The name Severn is thought to derive from a Celtic original name *sabrinn-â, of uncertain meaning.[5] That name then developed in different languages to become Sabrina to the Romans, Hafren in Welsh, and Severn in English. A folk etymology later developed, deriving the name from a mythical story of a nymph, Sabrina, who drowned in the river.[6] Sabrina is also the goddess of the River Severn in Brythonic mythology. "

And Sabrina " Latin name of the River Severn "

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Now that is nice and at a bargain price as well. Will be a smashing rod when renovated. One tip, if you intend using it for beans, make sure it has plenty of coats of varnish!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote:That does look early and very nice too, it certainly looks pre war. I wonder how far Dawsons go back as rod makers.

Wal.
First appear in the phone book 1950 at 43 Aylesbury road
1951 at 58 Pope road
1957 at 1 Chatlerton road
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Harry H wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:That does look early and very nice too, it certainly looks pre war. I wonder how far Dawsons go back as rod makers.

Wal.
First appear in the phone book 1950 at 43 Aylesbury road
1951 at 58 Pope road
1957 at 1 Chatlerton road
Last entry 1983
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

The history is interesting but the rods have iconic potential and are every bit as good to use as my Avocets so my advice to any aspiring dangler of cane is grab one when you see it...its probably the best all rounder out there.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I met a chap at Romsey Tackle Fair about 5 years ago who was in contact with Peter Dawson and who intended to write a book about the firm. he told me Peter was an ex-Marco apprentice who had set-up right by his old bosses in Bromley and that he still lived at 1 Chatterton Road even today.
I wasn't aware of any other premises used by them, but they weren't great advertisement purchasers and old magazines, my usual source of this sort of information, rarely mention Dawsons.

Presumably 1 Chatterton Road is or was, both a business premises and a residential one?

Google earth Streetview is broken again today, but it appears the premises are a Turkish restaurant these days....

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... gland.html

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:I met a chap at Romsey Tackle Fair about 5 years ago who was in contact with Peter Dawson and who intended to write a book about the firm. he told me Peter was an ex-Marco apprentice who had set-up right by his old bosses in Bromley and that he still lived at 1 Chatterton Road even today.
I wasn't aware of any other premises used by them, but they weren't great advertisement purchasers and old magazines, my usual source of this sort of information, rarely mention Dawsons.

Presumably 1 Chatterton Road is or was, both a business premises and a residential one?

Google earth Streetview is broken again today, but it appears the premises are a Turkish restaurant these days....

The listings were all under Dawsons Of Bromley rather than his actual name.
Also found this add for The Sabina in an 1967 edition or Fishing magazine.

I wonder what was meant by "Yes built cane" was it they had been made in whole cane before that or just unusual for a Roach rod to be made this way?
Anthony Shepherdson

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

A bit like the FT Roach rod.. has great potential!! I have had 7lb+ bream on mine, single figure but pushing it carp, tench all sorts...
Well done Harry another stone unturned.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote:I met a chap at Romsey Tackle Fair about 5 years ago who was in contact with Peter Dawson and who intended to write a book about the firm. he told me Peter was an ex-Marco apprentice who had set-up right by his old bosses in Bromley and that he still lived at 1 Chatterton Road even today.

And the fittings on Reeling's rod look identical to a rather battered sample of a Marco Arun that I have in my bits stack.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”