Sabina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Sabina

Post by Wallys-Cast »

AshbyCut wrote:Well done Wal, Sir. I suspect a few of us were watching that. :Wink:

Yes AC I was wondering that myself. I feel a bit bad bidding on ebay these days knowing I am probably spoiling a fellow TFF members chances of getting a bargain but what can we do?
I suppose its still the luck of the draw but sorry if I have spoiled anyones night by winning the rod..

Wal.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I watched this one also, but decided not to in the end, be interested in your feedback Wal on the rod, this chap's been selling a few recently including some carp rods which fetched highish prices especially as they had some "issues".

Whenever the price goes above my limit I then hope that its gone to a TFF'er, so well done Wal :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A couple of years ago no, someone came up to our table at the Romsey Tackle Fair and said he knew Peter Dawson, who was alive and well and still living in Bromley, just down the road from the site of the old Marco factory where he had been an apprentice.

He was going to put a book together about Dawsons but I've heard nothing since.

I'd love to know why Peter would set himself up in business right by the huge Marco factory that had taught him his trade? It sounds a risky enterprise so he must have had a reason.

Hopefully, that chap who knows him will find his way here to TFF one day.....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mushy wrote:I watched this one also, but decided not to in the end, be interested in your feedback Wal on the rod, this chap's been selling a few recently including some carp rods which fetched highish prices especially as they had some "issues".

Whenever the price goes above my limit I then hope that its gone to a TFF'er, so well done Wal :Thumb:

Thanks Richard and yes mate I'll let you know what its like when it gets here..

Wal.

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

I fancied this one as well. The only reason for not bidding was the fact that i'm working nights at the moment. I won a rod from this guy myself a couple of weeks ago (sealey tudor gem 8ft spinning rod) and must say he was very helpful and it was faultless, so hopefully yours will be the same.
best regards Mark

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Mushy wrote:I watched this one also, but decided not to in the end, be interested in your feedback Wal on the rod, this chap's been selling a few recently including some carp rods which fetched highish prices especially as they had some "issues".

Thanks Richard and yes mate I'll let you know what its like when it gets here..

Wal.

Well the rod arrived today and it is as described and I suppose it could be used straight away at a pinch but it will get a full rebuild so it matches my other one.
The tip could do with turning over or straightening, the ferrules are a bit slack so could do with being renewed and the rings will be getting replaced anyway as it has low "Bells Life" rings.
It will get high "Bells Life" rings when it is rebuilt as it will be getting used for float work and yes it will probably get a handle extension one way or another as it would be a wrist breaker if used for trotting as it is..

As for the seller, he did everything expected of him, the item matched the description (just) the rod arrived quickly and was very well packaged..That's 10/10 in my book..

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent Wal, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Thanks for the feedback Wal, glad youv'e got a good 'un there :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawsons-of-Br ... 54201e2369

A testimony to the usability of this popular Dawson's rod here is a 'much loved' version that almost pricks the conscience as I just don't get to use mine as much as I should. All rods should look like this...

(I should say with the exception of those reel fittings which are hideous)
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

In amongst some rod bits I was given recently is this handle section of a Sabrina, which looks quite early to me looking at the reel fittings. I suppose these could be later additions although they seem to match the check.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”