Dawsons of Bromley

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Dawsons of Bromley

Post by Mark »

I also have a 2 piece 8 foot split cane spinning rod manufactured by Dawsons of Bromley, called the Medina. Does anyone know anything about Dawsons or the Medina.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Re: Dawsons of Bromley

Post by St.John »

Not owned one, but I'm sure they are good. Most of the larger names of the cane world built good cane. The only reason (i think) that some have risen to mythical status (allcocks, hardy, b James), and call for a lot of cash is cos a) some bloke with a beard once caught a big carp on one. b) some bloke with a beard was on a fishing show with one or c) some bloke with a beard wrote about them in a wonderful, whimsical manner.....! Of course I'm being silly, but the point I'm trying to make is that most old 'user' cane rods, when cane was the primary material used for rods, are all of a good standard. The real difference is the finish and fittings (in my humble opinion) Of course there are better and worse built rods, but you must remember that It was a MASSIVE industry, and therefore refined to a high standard. Now, before I get shot down and killed... I'm talking about the building of the blank. Of course the real magic happens with tapers. Which were often copied. Anyway. Back to the rod....... Looks like a brilliant little thing, dawsons are well respected. Bet it's wonderful to stalk with. Get in there.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the information st.john, I didn’t realise that Dawsons were so respected, you learn something everyday, that’s nice to know.

This rod has had some use as you can see the tip is a little bent, this is how it was when I first bought it about 10 years ago. Last year I caught eleven double figure carp with this rod while stakling under and around willow tree's etc. The biggest of the eleven was only 13lb 10oz but you get a good little scrap while fishing close in, like you say it's great for stalking.

Who is that bloke with a beard you keep talking about. ;)
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

All cane rods should have a set!!! Shows they are used! Sorry about the rant as well. Think we all know who has the beard....... Long may it grow. Yeah, dawsons made a rod called the sabrina, which is a seriously nice rod. Almost brought one last year, but it got a bit silly on the money!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have a Medina. Still in use for stalking in the margins. It was bought new by my dad in the late 1950s or early 1960s. He used it as a ledger rod for barbel on the Thames. Coffin leads and big worms. He gave it to me a few years ago as it was sitting in his shed. He does still use cane rods but mostly the longer float varieties. If you are really interested I will ask him where he got it and what it was sold as.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

MGs wrote:I have a Medina. Still in use for stalking in the margins. It was bought new by my dad in the late 1950s or early 1960s. He used it as a ledger rod for barbel on the Thames. Coffin leads and big worms. He gave it to me a few years ago as it was sitting in his shed. He does still use cane rods but mostly the longer float varieties. If you are really interested I will ask him where he got it and what it was sold as.
It would be nice to see a picture of it MGs.
Mark (Administrator)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not the best camera in the world but hopefully ok. My dad can't remember where he got it.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Nice Rod MGs. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Still in pretty good nick despite the hard life my dad gave it in the 60s. It only gets occasional use with me now.
I don't spend as much time carp fishing as I used to, so as a margin rod, a couple of times a year is about its lot.
Just given it a fresh coat of varnish :)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looks a lovely rod MGs, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”