Yes Yes Yes I have finally got one

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

Re: Yes Yes Yes I have finally got one

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote:
Pafpuff wrote:The chap I got it from, bought it in 1956 for £124 and had to wait for 6 weeks (I guess £124 was a lot of money in 1956)

I look forward to tidying it up, and even more so using it someday soon
Sounds good.
As for equivalent value according to
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html
£124 in 1956 is equivalent to £2,838.87 today! :shocked: That's a Barder 2-tip fly rod with aluminium tube!

Think its probably a lot more than that. I never understand what they base these inflation figures on but it must be wrong.
In 1956 a typical weekly wage would have been around £5.
Now you might say a typical weekly wage is at least £500, a increase of around 100 x.
That makes £124 in 1956 equivalent to at least £12,000 now :Confused:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Julian wrote:
Snape wrote:
Pafpuff wrote:The chap I got it from, bought it in 1956 for £124 and had to wait for 6 weeks (I guess £124 was a lot of money in 1956)

Sounds good.
As for equivalent value according to
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html
£124 in 1956 is equivalent to £2,838.87 today! :shocked: That's a Barder 2-tip fly rod with aluminium tube!

Think its probably a lot more than that. I never understand what they base these inflation figures on but it must be wrong.
In 1956 a typical weekly wage would have been around £5.
Now you might say a typical weekly wage is at least £500, a increase of around 100 x.
That makes £124 in 1956 equivalent to at least £12,000 now :Confused:

Just looked up some info on earnings in 1956 as opposed to today and the factor maybe nearer 50 x than 100 x , but still makes todays cost of that rod over £ 6000. :shocked:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Fantastic - well done indeed.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A little bit of info taken from Micheal Nadell.s book Poles Apart.

"Best quality poles were sold with two top joints - sometimes one tip was a little heavier than the other and was referred to as a "bream tip".
One would have a greenheart tip and the other a whalebone tip - giving the angler the choice of a softer or firmer strike.
E.L. Sowerbutt, whose tip,s were split cane, used to put a single whipping below the splice in the top joint to identify the roach tip ,and two for the bream tip.

Some top joints had a very thin ferrule twelve inches back from the tip end.
This enabled the tip to be changed for a heavier or lighter tip while fishing."

Lee.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Well done Paul.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Pafpuff wrote:I got myself a Bamboo roach pole :huray:

It is marked on the butt cap to EL Sowerbutts, Ruby Ave, Walthamstow
It is approx. 19.6ft long, the end eye is missing and I suspect 6" or so is missing
It is dead straight, some of the whipping threads need some attention, and whatever I decide to do with the tip.

The chap I got it from, bought it in 1956 for £124 and had to wait for 6 weeks (I guess £124 was a lot of money in 1956)

Nice looking Pole and as the popularity increases so does the price and they are getting harder to find .
E.L Sowerbutts was charging to make a pole at £1 per foot back in 1956 so that should give you a bit more of a realistic idea of cost back in the day .
The tip , although looks short appears to be correct as it wasnt unusual for tips to be short on some poles . I have one E.L.Sowerbutts which also is approx 6 inches shorter in both tips and they are correct in length so your tip section looks to be the right length .
On another Sowerbutts pole I have which also has two tip joints are very short in comparison by at least 12 inches but once again these are both correct in length but would appear to have been shortened .One tip is spliced splitcane and the other which is quite rare for Sowerbutts is a spliced whalebone tip , a material not often used by Sowerbutts .

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Paul Cook wrote:

It is approx. 19.6ft long, the end eye is missing and I suspect 6" or so is missing
It is dead straight, some of the whipping threads need some attention, and whatever I decide to do with the tip.

The chap I got it from, bought it in 1956 for £124 and had to wait for 6 weeks (I guess £124 was a lot of money in 1956)

Nice looking Pole and as the popularity increases so does the price and they are getting harder to find .
E.L Sowerbutts was charging to make a pole at £1 per foot back in 1956 so that should give you a bit more of a realistic idea of cost back in the day .
The tip , although looks short appears to be correct as it wasnt unusual for tips to be short on some poles . I have one E.L.Sowerbutts which also is approx 6 inches shorter in both tips and they are correct in length so your tip section looks to be the right length .
On another Sowerbutts pole I have which also has two tip joints are very short in comparison by at least 12 inches but once again these are both correct in length but would appear to have been shortened .One tip is spliced splitcane and the other which is quite rare for Sowerbutts is a spliced whalebone tip , a material not often used by Sowerbutts .
Strange but my two Sowerbutts poles are both Whalebone tipped one about 6 inch the other around 4inch . ??

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Gudgeon Jim wrote:
Paul Cook wrote:

Strange but my two Sowerbutts poles are both Whalebone tipped one about 6 inch the other around 4inch . ??
Yes Jim you are right to question the above ,what I should have said was E.L Sowerbutts not Sowerbutts in general but should have made that clearer . It was rare for E.L Sowerbutts to use whalebone tip in his poles , with most tips being made from splitcane .

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A few questions to those who can advise.

On closer inspection of my roach pole today I have noticed some faults, and the question is if to repair or leave alone?

The second section from the tip has a split in the bamboo, it is on the thicker end, and about 14" long, it goes from being quite faint hairline crack to a 3" section which has opened up.

I think it has been repaired, and maybe the 3" section has recently opened up again?

I also think as part of the repair, a length of cane has been inserted, I have tapped this from the thin end, but it does not move, should I try to remove this, if so how?

All the other sections are all very good and I think they will only need a little tidy up and varnish.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

I personally would leave it as original as possible. I think i would try and glue the split together and as for the piece that has been inserted . If it stops the smaller section been stored inside i would drill it out with a brace and long bit . If it doesnt affect storage then i would leave alone.
Ive in past re whipped an entire pole and as nice as it looks it lacks character. I tend to now just re whip where whipping has gone or split. Some i have have a very nice patina others look like they have been coated in treacle but thats what attracts me to them they all been individual.
I have one someone as shot with a .22 pellet and i have thought about repairing many times but decided it doesnt affect its working so have left it alone .

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”