J H Sowerbutts?

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: J H Sowerbutts?

Post by Duckett »

Richard Jackson wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am I’ve put it the correct way for you Dollar58
Sorry I'm a bit late to this but, assuming it's of any interest, the lettering of the signature on that rod appears to be "cursive". This form of joined-up writing was taught from the inception of the Elementary School system in the 19th Century - I've been told it was based on the "copper plate" script engravers had used (I studied History and Education for my degree). My Grandfather and my Mum both wrote this way their entire life, so I recognised it immediately.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

YogiSally
Stickleback

Re: J H Sowerbutts?

Post by YogiSally »

Edward L Sowerbutts was my step grandfather, and the family moved from Walthamstow E17 to Epping, Essex where he continued to make the rods in the garden shed. His daughter Jane still resides at the family home and does not have a single rod to remember her father by.

They had a very meager existence and the family lived on the sale of his rods and Jane's job as a typist at Epping Council offices, and she has now retired.

Hopefully, one day I will have enough money to buy one of her fathers rods to give her.

How lovely to learn all this about a family.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”